Remington 870 Magazine Tube Detent Swage Tool

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
utengineer
New Shotgunner

Remington 870 Magazine Tube Detent Swage Tool

Post by utengineer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:15 pm

My personal video preview and un-boxing of a tool used to remove the magazine detents in the Remington 870 shotgun. Removing the detents will allow you to properly install aftermarket followers and magazine extension tubes.

YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/JfTz_mQ9bZU

This item is the Magazine Tube Detent Swage Tool for the Remington 870 shotgun (MFG Part# 80-2283T-817-1). XS Sights Systems does not currently list this tool in their catalog, or online. You can call them and order one if they have stock.

Manufacturer: http://www.xssights.com
Fort Worth, TX
PH#(888) 744-4880

Thanks to forum member M1AG30 for initially posting about this item...http://www.rem870.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=213

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with XS Sight Systems or Remington Arms Company. I am not a gunsmith. I accept no responsibility for the operation of this tool. Use at your own risk and I accept no legal or financial liability. Consult with and provide this tool to a gunsmith for your firearm modification if you are not 100% confident you can use this tool safely; or, use this tool without causing damage to your firearm that will result in injury, damage, or malfunction.

hector.jacob
Shotgunner

Re: Remington 870 Magazine Tube Detent Swage Tool

Post by hector.jacob » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:16 pm

nice vid and review..

utengineer
New Shotgunner

Post by utengineer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:10 pm

hector.jacob wrote:nice vid and review..
Thanks, Hector. There are not a lot of videos out there showing a tool of this nature. My intent was to show a less expensive alternative. While there are various videos on drilling through the detents to remove them...I just don't like the idea of having holes in my magazine tube.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 pm

utengineer wrote:While there are various videos on drilling through the detents to remove them...I just don't like the idea of having holes in my magazine tube.
The holes really aren't an issue; the barrel guide ring covers them up when the gun is assembled, so they're neither a structural weakness nor an ingress route.

utengineer
New Shotgunner

Post by utengineer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 am

Synchronizor wrote:The holes really aren't an issue; the barrel guide ring covers them up when the gun is assembled, so they're neither a structural weakness nor an ingress route.
Agreed...I assumed the holes would not be a major issue. My intent is not to present a superior method for enabling aftermarket followers or magazine extensions. Swaging the detents is just a method, in my opinion, of modifying the magazine tube without depreciating the value of the weapon. Creating a smooth inner wall, where detents once existed, is a challenge. This tool, hopefully, will allow me to modify my 870 the way I want it to operate with a magazine extension (~17 in.); and, use the aftermarket follower I purchased.

M1AG30
Valued Shotgunner

Post by M1AG30 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 am

saw your video....how did it work out for you?
It is their God's decision to forgive our enemies,
It is our duty to arrange the meeting!

logume
New Shotgunner

Post by logume » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:29 am

The price of the XSSights mag tube swage has gone up to $35 now. I was expecting the price to go up due to the higher prices of other options for swaging. Shipping was $11 Fed Ex and it should arrive in1-2 days to the Gulf Coast.

I checked out the swage from Brownells. It’s first class and has a very polished looking finished and I’m guessing that it is nicely hardened. They call it a Magazine Tube Dent Raiser and charge $82 for it. It is very long and comes with a long punch and can probably be driven down the entire length of the magazine to remove magazine dents and maybe mag distortion. The long swage has two different angles on each end, one gradual angle that looks similar to the XSSights swage and also a sharper angle probably intended for minor dents. But at $82 I have to pass. Even with the XSSights price increase it is still less than half the cost. And I’ve never dented or distorted a magazine tube on a shotgun but I have been a light user of shotguns

I think I’ll try a light brass hammer to push the swage nice and slowly through the detents with each tap. I will use a light coat of grease as everybody suggests.
The tool will work on an 870, 1100 or 11-87. I'm in no hurry to use it but have wanted a method to remove detents for years on my Remingtons without filing, grinding, sanding or drilling. I know they are all functionally fine and the barrel/mag tube support hides any holes completely. This is the way to go for me.

I want to thank utengineer for posting the great info on the XSSights swage and for making a very nice You-Tube on this swage. Very helpful!

I also like to thank all the other contributors to this thread as I’ve learned a lot here.

I will post back later as I need help on weight, balance and having a better understanding of how much is too much mag extension on a shotgun.

logume
New Shotgunner

Post by logume » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:16 am

Received in 1 day! I ordered it kinda late in the day too.

Rex Dart

Post by Rex Dart » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:40 pm

My thanks to UT engineer for his video, and this post.

I had attempted grinding out the mag tub detents with a dremel and a sanding drum, without cutting through to make holes. No holes were made, but enough of the dimpling was left to cause the follower to drag when the magazine was full. It happened often enough that I took the shotgun offline as a home defense weapon.

I found UTengineers video online, and was instantly intrigued. The home solutions seemed a bit too iffy, and the Brownells tool was too pricey. Delighted to find XS had them listed on their website, I ordered one.

It worked a treat! A bit of grease, some light peening with a 1/4" punch, and the follower drops through without impediment. That was this weekend. A range trip is needed to fully validate operational reliability, but I'm extremely hopeful.

Thanks again.

Azrial
New Shotgunner

Post by Azrial » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:38 pm

What happened to the video mentioned here? I am interested in a tool!