Before:

After:

Share your experience here.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

TFuller
Global Moderator

Re: Remington 870 Restoration

Post by TFuller » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:10 am

Pretty amazing. I wonder how much he kept stock and how much he had to replace entirely. Beautiful job.
Hans - 18" Barrel, SBE Precision Follower, Remington Syn S&F, Extractor, Remington +2 tube Extender

Franz - 18" Barrel, Brownell's SS Follower, Knoxx Spec Ops & PowerPak, Hogue Grip, Extractor, Choate +2

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:50 am

Thomas, you may post a comment with question to Rich, he reads blog regularly.

TFuller
Global Moderator

Post by TFuller » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Yeah, I finally realized you had this in the blog. I looked at the pictures and didn't pay attention to the text. :roll:
Hans - 18" Barrel, SBE Precision Follower, Remington Syn S&F, Extractor, Remington +2 tube Extender

Franz - 18" Barrel, Brownell's SS Follower, Knoxx Spec Ops & PowerPak, Hogue Grip, Extractor, Choate +2

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:18 am

Looks great. The polished trigger group and newer butt stock really breath new life into that old dog. Are you going to keep it or ?
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Hey chaps. Thanks for the kinds words!

She's still going strong. The plan was to sell her off, but fell in love with her so much, she's a keeper now. Had a nice day down the range by the beach the other day with not another person in sight.

$30 for all the supplies to restore her.

The only new parts I bought for her were the stock (Clario from Remington Store), and a Meprolight Tritium bead for the barrel.

The new gloss stock i sanded back, and covered with sloppings of Boiled Linseed Oil. Keen to pick up a matching fore-end when i'm in the US of A next.

Nice forum Vitaly!

RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RandyWag » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:37 pm

thats looks awsome, I dont blame you for not wanting to get ride of it now. awsome job man!!
If you break into my house, be quiet, or ill wake up and unload on you.

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:47 am

Well, it's finally hot enough here in Texas, and we've had a good bit of humidity this week due to some in-and-out rain showers, so I decided to get moving on that 870 Wingmaster I picked up earlier this year.

Thanks to RichNZ for the pm responses on some of the details from his restoration...I've posted my details thus far online on my blog (project870.blogspot.com). I just applied the 2nd coat of rust blue agent, so I've got about 3 hours before I get to wake up (it'll be 2:45am here) and boil the metal, then card, re-apply agent, and go back to bed for another 3 hours or so.

There aren't any pictures uploaded from tonight's efforts....that's when the final metal prep work was done and then, of course, the rusting and boiling. I'll post another update to the blog with photos of that and the stuff that will happen in a few hours, but I won't do that until much later this morning, like, say 8:30am or 9:00.

Alright- off to bed I go (for a few hours, anyway).

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 am

jpfrog wrote:Well, it's finally hot enough here in Texas, and we've had a good bit of humidity this week due to some in-and-out rain showers, so I decided to get moving on that 870 Wingmaster I picked up earlier this year.

Thanks to RichNZ for the pm responses on some of the details from his restoration...I've posted my details thus far online on my blog (project870.blogspot.com). I just applied the 2nd coat of rust blue agent, so I've got about 3 hours before I get to wake up (it'll be 2:45am here) and boil the metal, then card, re-apply agent, and go back to bed for another 3 hours or so.

There aren't any pictures uploaded from tonight's efforts....that's when the final metal prep work was done and then, of course, the rusting and boiling. I'll post another update to the blog with photos of that and the stuff that will happen in a few hours, but I won't do that until much later this morning, like, say 8:30am or 9:00.

Alright- off to bed I go (for a few hours, anyway).
jpfrog, it would be very interesting to see the process and results.

RainMan_JH
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RainMan_JH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 pm

She is beautiful that is for sure. I must say though my favorite line in that whole article was:
Note: It is vital to ensure that your wife is out for the day before attempting this, otherwise you risk unwelcome side effects.
I immediately asked my wife about her thoughts on me using the oven to bake a shotgun. Her responding look absolutely confirmed your note! :lol: