Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

870 Tips & Tricks #8: Fixing a Displaced Shell Latch

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:09 am

New video online:
870_TT_08_TN_beta.PNG
Click for the video
(Also, any updates on when we'll be able to embed videos here?)
870_TT_08_TN_beta.PNG (149.69 KiB) Viewed 3697 times

Remington 870 Tips & Tricks #8: Fixing a Displaced Shell Latch:

When the 870 is fully assembled, the front trigger plate pin holds the two shell latches in place against the impact of the shells being fed from the magazine. The latches are also staked in place in the receiver, but without the pin, the staking alone is not strong enough to hold the latches in place if shells are cycled from the magazine. Cycling shells in a partially-disassembled 870 can cause the latches to become displaced, preventing the front trigger plate pin from being reinserted. This can also occur if you've installed and run the gun with some accessory that replaces the front trigger plate pin with something with a smaller diameter. Later, if you remove the accessory and try to replace the original factory pin, it may not fit if the undersized part has allowed the latches to shift far enough backward.

In this video, I will explain what can cause this problem, show how to repair a displaced shell latch at home using basic tools, and explain how to prevent it in the future.

This continues my series of how-to videos with the Remington 870 shotgun. There are several other topics I have planned for future videos, but it's a fluid list. I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have for video topics. If it's something that has already been covered, I may point you elsewhere, but if it's an interesting and feasible idea, I'll add it to the list.

This video was a bit of an experiment; I gave myself a maximum of 24 hours to do all the writing, planning, shooting, editing, posting; everything involved in going from initial concept to what you're watching now. Like speed painting for artists, the goal was to more quickly and efficiently produce a complete video on a relatively simple subject. Personally, I think the approach worked pretty well (apart from my stupid video editor program being an astoundingly horrible piece of crap), and though I'll make some tweaks to the concept, I hope to use it in the future to deliver simpler videos like this one more frequently, without letting them become as much of a distraction from other projects.