Remington Marine Magnum factory + 2 extension spring length.

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
JBall
Super Shotgunner

Remington Marine Magnum factory + 2 extension spring length.

Post by JBall » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:46 am

I was wondering about the length of the spring in my Remington's factory +2 Marine Magnum magazine tube extension. I remember SYNCHRONIZER mentioning that Remington uses the same spring for both the +2 & +3 models... Should I take a coil or two off of the spring? I feel like it is overly difficult loading the shells. With the current amount of force it boggles my mind how these guys (like Vitaly) do such incredible speed loads with numerous shells in a row. I feel like with the current amount of spring pressure it seems to be working against me to much. Also, I haven't checked the parts list yet to see, but maybe the Marine Magnum comes with a nickle plated spring that may cause it to be "stiffer" than usual. Anyone have any experience/advice on this?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Remington Marine Magnum factory + 2 extension spring len

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:32 pm

As with most of its parts, the Marine Magnum uses a different magazine spring than other 870s. The parts list shows two Marine Magnum mag springs, one for guns with extensions, and one without. I can confirm that Remington uses the same spring with +2 and +3 extensions (since both types of extension tubes have follower stops the same distance from the front end), but while I doubt Remington has something completely different made for the Marine Magnum's +2 extension, I can't say that with 100% certainty.

Are you sure you're not just having something hang up in the tube? That's been known to happen with extension tubes that aren't fully seated.