New to 870s - which model for IPSC competition?

Welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself.
FUBARnova

New to 870s - which model for IPSC competition?

Post by FUBARnova » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 am

Hi,
I am new to the Remington 870 and considering one for shooting in IPSC competition. Which is the best model to look for to modify for quick loading and shooting?

I see there are super magnum guns available that will take 3 1/2" shells, but could this lead to short stroking the action.

Also which stock and forend is best. Is the Express synthetic the one to get?

I want to modify this gun to compete with so I want to get the correct one.

I currently quad load so want to modify the gun to suit that style.

Many thanks for your help.

M

Xcisking
New Shotgunner

Re: New to 870s - which model for IPSC competition?

Post by Xcisking » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:52 am

I would stay away from a super mag when it comes to competition as your going to be shooting shells that are 2 3/4" most likely and sometimes the super mag can be a pit pickey about its short ammo. Also in the ipsa manual standard division which it sounds like you want to enter as you are looking at an 870. max round count is 9 so it doesn't really matter which model you go with because your going to be adding a mag tube extension any ways. Just do a few of the essential mods right from the get go, like a stiffer carrier dog spring, a better mag follower, non mim extractor and polish the chamber. Other then that it will be down to personal preference. You might want to go with a solid wood stock model as it will help mitigate recoil allowing faster follow up shots due to the added weight. As ipsa rules don't allow recoil absorbers in manual standard division. Just read over the rules and go from there. They are all good guns just tailored to different shooting scenarios.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Vitaly
Owner

Re: New to 870s - which model for IPSC competition?

Post by Vitaly » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:40 am

Here is my article about modifications of 870 for IPSC: http://www.rem870.com/2017/10/03/reming ... -ejection/

I use Remington 870 Express.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun