New to shotguns

Welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself.
Preacher_Ed
New Shotgunner

New to shotguns

Post by Preacher_Ed » Sun May 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Good evening from Central Illinois. I'm new here having just acquire an 870 set up for home defense. My first shotgun was a Mossberg 930 that I bought from a nice local gentleman before I figured out that the gun was way too long for home defense (28" barrel). I shot it and had fun with it, but yesterday took advantage of the opportunity to trade it off for the 870. I like tinkering with my own guns so I look forward to learning as much as I can on this forum (not that this 12g needs much to make it perfect). About the only thing I would want to change would be the wood stock.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: New to shotguns

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:53 am

Welcome and howdy! Nice 870, which has to be the most common pump that a lot of us started on. Looks great!
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 28, 2018 4:57 am

Welcome to the forum.

I would say keep the wood stock for HD. Wood stocks are strong and solid, and are easy to modify if needed.

Preacher_Ed
New Shotgunner

Post by Preacher_Ed » Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks, guys. The biggest reason to keep the wood stock for now is that there is nothing wrong with it. The previous owner cut down the fore end, but did a really good job at this. I remember in my youth I was at a party that got out of hand. The responding officer racked his 870 and brought the situation to and end (we all knew what that sound was). I had a flashback when I worked the action for the first time. I was told my a friend of mine, a retired state trooper, to get a used 870 because the action would be smoothed out. I have to agree with him.