New To The Group

Welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself.
JasonT82

New To The Group

Post by JasonT82 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Hey,

I'm new to the group and fairly new to owning my own guns. I used to go hunting with my Dad when I was between the ages of 7-10. He passed away when I was 10 and I have not hunted since. I have used my Dad's .410, .22, 28 Gauge, and .303 British Savage a few times each before my Mom sold them when I was 14, but nothing to constitute being fluent in the ways of gunsmithing, or cleaning and caring for them. Later when I was 22 I had given to me a older .308 Winchester Savage with the high pressure steel barrel from a girlfriend whose ex left it behind. I shot it a couple times then sold it after we split up. I guess I never had a need until now to own firearms since I have 2 boys ages 3 and 5. I want to bring them up hunting and fishing the way my Dad did until he passed away. I recently purchased a 1978 Browning BLR .308 rifle that is in spectacular condition with a Bushnell Buck horn 3X9X40 scope. I found my way here by chance because I also bought a 1992 Remington 870 Magnum Wingmaster 12 Gauge from a guy. It is 8.5 out of 10 for condition with some scrape marks under the mag pull from normal usage. He traded the rifled barrel it came with for a 28" vented rib one off another Wingmaster. Any and all advice about my 870 is welcome. I haven't taken the receiver apart because I am new to that, but I have cleaned inside around the Beach bolt with Q-tips to remove residue, as well as all crevasses on the receiver and barrel. I've also used a microfibre cloth to polish it. Thanks :roll:

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: New To The Group

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 am

Welcome and howdy from South East Alaska! You'll find lots of good info here. There are no silly questions, and if there are, I probably asked them. Jump right in!
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: New To The Group

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 am

Welcome to the forum.

870s are not tough to work with. See here for a detailed disassembly & reassembly guide.