887 Nitro Mag Questions

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
FlyAUTigers

887 Nitro Mag Questions

Post by FlyAUTigers » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Afternoon all,

I'm new here but had some questions regarding a new 887 Nitro Magnum that I won at a banquet dinner. I've used 870s and 1100s for a long time, but the 887 does seem to be different in regards to the action and cycling.

I have noticed that it has a very rough cycle. I have already cleaned and oiled it per specs, but it's still giving me feed issues. I had to fight it to forcefully pull the forend back to eject a shell that I didn't fire. Will actually getting out and firing it solve these issues or have I inherited a lemon?

The action bars also do not seem as sturdy as ones that I've seen on 870s. They seem to be loose and not very accepting of the bolt carrier without careful handling.

Are the any known issues with these shotguns out of the box that relates to my above issues?

Any help and input is appreciated!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 887 Nitro Mag Questions

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:52 am

I don't have much hands-on time with 887s, but I also found them to be kinda rough and chunky compared to the 870. Design-wise they're a bit of a departure too, with things like a rotary bolt, pin-pivot extractor, and the polymer coating on everything. If you ask me, they were more complicated than a pump shotgun really needs to be.

The action bars probably feel flimsy because unlike the 870, where the fore-end tube & action bars are one solid piece, the 887's action bars are separate parts that connect to the fore-end tube by slipping over round studs. So there's more movement in the linkage than the 870. The Mossberg 500-series guns are similar.

The 887s didn't have a great run before they were discontinued, but I know there are plenty of folks for whom they work just fine. I would take yours out and shoot it before assuming the worst.

FlyAUTigers

Re: 887 Nitro Mag Questions

Post by FlyAUTigers » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:22 pm

That's what I'm thinking as well. I ran it by Remington and the place of purchase and both are willing to take a look at it, I'll let the Gunsmith at the shop take a look at it before I put a few rounds through it in case they may offer the option of exchanging...I know they have a few more left in stock. At this point I wish I would've just opted for the 870, but that's water under the bridge now.

Thanks for the input, I'll follow up with the end results!