Heavi-Shot chokes Question

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
grahng
Shotgunner

Heavi-Shot chokes Question

Post by grahng » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:49 pm

I have an 870 Express Tactical and would like to change the "choke" it came with for a Heavi-shot choke. Two reasons. One to gain some extra range and two because I like the looks of the Heavi-shot better. It would be the Mid-range, not the extreme range in the link.
Thoughts please

http://www.basspro.com/HEVIShot-Waterfo ... /10207631/

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Heavi-Shot chokes Question

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 am

According to the product page for the mid-range choke tube you're considering, the constriction is .716". For lead shot, that's about a Light Modified constriction.

If you plan on using this gun as a defensive weapon, you probably won't see much benefit paying extra for a high-end choke tube like these. If you like the look enough, go for it; but you'd probably be able to get satisfactory patterning out of a much less expensive tube. The reason for this is, while birdshot loads behave fairly predictably out of chokes, buckshot can vary quite a bit from load to load. Whatever constriction you plan on running, expect to spend some time pattern-testing to see exactly how your preferred defensive loads react to it.

grahng
Shotgunner

Post by grahng » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for your input. That's exactly what I want to know. Have a great day!
Jerry

grahng
Shotgunner

Post by grahng » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Still pondering..........I seem to do a lot of that these days.

Re: steel shot vs. lead shot. I realize there is a difference in the weight of each that can be relative to the size of the shot. My question though, as steel shot is obviously much harder that lead, does that tend to wear adversely, over time, on the barrel?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:39 pm

grahng wrote:My question though, as steel shot is obviously much harder that lead, does that tend to wear adversely, over time, on the barrel?
Definitely. Properly-manufactured steel shot loads attempt to keep the hard pellets out of direct contact with the barrel using cup wads, wraps, and other components, but these measures aren't foolproof. Steel shot tends to be toughest on forcing cones and chokes, especially tight chokes. Even chokes that are steel-rated will deteriorate, and should be inspected and replaced when appropriate to avoid barrel damage. Larger pellets and higher velocities are common measures to compensate for the poor range and penetration of steel shot, but only make things harder on the gun.

A couple good articles:
Can I Shoot Steel Shot in My Shotgun (Without Damage)?
Confused About Steel Shot and Barrel Damage?

grahng
Shotgunner

Post by grahng » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Gotcha! Thanks again :) Happy Fathers Day if it applies.