Perfection (build finished, lots of pics :D )

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
biohazard

Perfection (build finished, lots of pics :D )

Post by biohazard » Sun May 19, 2013 7:59 pm

This build took a lot of work, time and lots of trial and error to get it where it is. Suits me perfectly and is 100% reliable. It's had thousands of rounds through it and started it's life as an 870 Express with a 28" barrel. The whole purpose for this was to have an extremely reliable shottie with no flimsy/bullshit fu-fu parts. Mission accomplished, runs issue free even when fed muddy shells for a whole day.

- Tons of polishing on the slide/action/chamber for extremely smooth operation
- Remington 20" smooth bore barrel w/ rifle sights (love them)
- TacStar mag extension (8+1)
- Mesa Tactical Urbino stock with a Magpul MOE forend (heat stippled for traction, it's comfy and not as sharp as it looks)
- Mesa Tactical 6-shell side saddle
- Stainless follower/ S & J follower (I use both to test but I prefer the stainless - more room in mag)
- S & J jumbo safety
- Non-MIM extractor (police)
- Stiffer police carrier spring
- Magpul rear sling loop (wasn't a direct fit with the Urbino stock, took lots of work)
- Magpul front barrel/mag clamp
- Magpul rail section on the forend
- Surefire X300 light

PS: Vitaly, feel free to use my pics anytime if you want.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Perfection (build finished, lots of pics :D )

Post by Vitaly » Sun May 19, 2013 8:43 pm

biohazard, thanks for sharing! Very good setup. I like custom things like heat stippled forend and Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock with Magpul rear sling loop.

Great job! Will post it to the main page.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed May 22, 2013 2:52 am

Nice setup. I have a 20" RS barrel that I really like, though it's the Wingmaster version that's threaded for choke tubes. What specific RS barrel are you using? Also, are you running the factory sight elements, or have you swapped them out for a different style?
biohazard wrote:- Stainless follower/ S & J follower (I use both to test but I prefer the stainless - more room in mag)
S&J just released a cup-style follower for the 870, if you like the high-visibility Delrin.

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:25 am

The only thing I can fault in is the TacStar extension... :?: I've never warmed up to their stuff that much... Why the tape on your recoil pad, to keep it catching?

biohazard

Post by biohazard » Thu May 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Glad you guys like it! The tape is there because the recoil pad quick release plates keep breaking, this is the 2nd replacement. I gave up and just taped the darn thing on. This shotgun sees pretty rough use.

The barrel is an Express Deer Barrel w/ Rifle Sights 20", Imp. Cyl. - part number 24622 and I think I got it for $130 new. I'm using the factory sights but the paint on the front sight chipped off. Never bothered re-painting since the shiny metallic surface works just fine. I'd like to get a tritium front sight one day, but for now everything I don't need to spend the money.

Thanks for the heads up Synchronizor, I may just need to get myself a few of those. Loved the neon green follower but it decreased my round capacity.

MStarmer, believe it or not the TacStar mag extension is quite a good product. Never had issues but I did have to drill the dimples out of my mag tube to make it work.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Sun May 26, 2013 6:03 am

Awesome looking 870, nice setup. I have most of the hardware and addons you're using. I really like how you got the Magpul rear rec sling point to mate up with the Mesa Urbino stock. I have both of those, and wished they would fit together. Good job, looks great!
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

Dieter
New Shotgunner

Post by Dieter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:22 pm

I like that forend!

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:36 pm

What sling do you run? I would think with the single point loop at the back you would run the loop portion of the magpul clamp up front? Loop / loop or QD / QD would seem to work better.

wheres the bears
Shotgunner

Post by wheres the bears » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:54 am

SWEET!! Good job looks great.

TrAB418

Post by TrAB418 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:02 am

What did you use to get the "magpul" painted orange. I'm wanting to paint my neon green or bright red.