Mag extension tube questions

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
FDEMOE870tac

Mag extension tube questions

Post by FDEMOE870tac » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:52 am

I have a 870 express magnum and i'm looking to get a mag extension tube for it. It's only a 4 round mag tube now and I'm undecided on +2 or +3. This is a multi purpose 870 I keep a 18 and a half inch barrel on it for home defence and and have a 28 inch barrel for skeet/trap shooting. Any words of wisdom? Also I would like the Nordic extension but can't find one anywhere so what's the next best option?

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Mag extension tube questions

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:42 am

I have the Remington 2-shot extension on my 870P. If I'd gone 3-shot, the extension would be longer than the barrel - not a problem but some don't like that. Another thing to consider is weight, it might not matter much to you, but adding the extension either 2 or 3 more rounds, you're definitely adding some heft to the front end of the shotgun. I like the 2-shot. 6 in the tube, 1 in the chamber, good to go.

Looks like Wilson has a couple of options in stock:
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazine-Ex ... ducts/163/
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Mag extension tube questions

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Another vote for Remington extensions, they're well made, and the seperate tube and coupling nut don't leave a gap where things can hang up. Also, if you buy one kit, all you have to do to have the other is buy the other tube for $24. All the other parts are identical. If you're a do-it-yourself-er, you can also modify extension and magazine tubes to make custom-length extensions that use the same system.

I also prefer steel over aluminum for a combat shotgun. I don't expect some crazy, drawn-out Hollywood gun battle like some seem to when building their HD shotguns; but I do prefer the extra strength in case I ever need to take a swing at someone's head, or block a bat or crowbar headed for mine (this is also why I don't much care for pistol-grip stocks; they're nice and ergonomic when you're shooting, but they're awkward to handle in less ideal situations).

As for length, I would recommend sticking to the +2 extension kit for HD, then ordering the +3 tube separately if you want it for other purposes. The +2 will keep the overall length down, and you'll be less likely to completely disable your magazine if you whack your gun on something in a stressful situation. We had another thread on the subject here. If you think you may have need to fire more than 6 shots in a defensive situation, keep extra shells handy, and do loading drills until it's second nature. That'll prepare you better than just one extra shell in the magazine will.