forends?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: forends?

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:25 am

lockoutmonkey wrote:I will try the Speedfeed first since I run a Speedfeed stock(birdshead).
If you're using a pistol-grip-only and you're trying to avoid getting hit in the face with your shotgun, the first thing you should do is get a proper stock (unless this is just a range toy you'll never need to rely on). I like playing with my pistol-grip at the gun range (AKA the woods, in Idaho), but that's all I ever use it for. To quote the knowledgeable Massad Ayoob, "The pistol-grip-only should be left for Rambo night at the gun club." A shoulder stock will let you aim and fire a shotgun far more quickly and effectively, and you'll save a lot of money on your dental bills.

lockoutmonkey
Shotgunner

Post by lockoutmonkey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks Synch. I felt a tactical 870 at the local gs, and it seems like the direction I will be headed. It is ahouse gun and needs to be short because of a small house. I just need a way to "secure" it from the kiddos but stilll have it close enough for when I will need it. I do not beleive in trigger locks, but do beleive in proper training for young and old. I am going to take the oem shoulder stock the next time at the range to see how big a difference it will make for a h/d gun. Yes it is a "plinker and I have other hunting guns. Just wanting something short and cool.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:50 am

lockoutmonkey wrote:Thanks Synch. I felt a tactical 870 at the local gs, and it seems like the direction I will be headed. It is ahouse gun and needs to be short because of a small house.
Have you looked at any folding stocks? I can speak from experience that they're not the most comfortable things to shoot with, but they'll at least allow you to aim effectively while keeping things compact.

Personally, handguns are my first choice if I need to move through a house, while the shotgun is for defending a fixed position. To borrow an LFI concept, the handgun is "infantry" and the shotgun "artillery".
lockoutmonkey wrote:I just need a way to "secure" it from the kiddos but stilll have it close enough for when I will need it. I do not beleive in trigger locks, but do beleive in proper training for young and old.
I believe in both. Educating kids and satisfying their natural curiosity in a safe manner is the best way to handle it, but kids are individuals, and if you don't think they're ready to be trusted, it may be wise to use a gun lock as a safety precaution. Or, you may trust your kids around guns, but what about the friends they bring over? Or the kids of visiting relatives or adult friends? Or, if someone breaks into your residence when no one's home, are they going to find a functional firearm and arm themselves?

I believe there are situations where any gun owner will need to lock up or disable their guns; and having a few inexpensive locking devices on hand is a smart way to be prepared. I'm finishing up a video now that presents my philosophy on gun locks, and goes over some options for the 870.