Police Conversion...

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
JBall
Super Shotgunner

Police Conversion...

Post by JBall » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:24 am

Just bought an R870 Special Purpose Marine Magnum for HD. I was unaware, until after my purchase of course, that they made a police model MM w/ nickel plating. So I guess what I'm saying is I wanna do the conversions to make it a "P" myself. I know I need a heavier sear spring, carrier dog spring, & non-MIM extractor. Another question is I have the +2 Remington extension stock from the factory, is this a heavy enough mag spring for constant 00 buck and slug? I do plan on using it a lot for target shooting and practice. It will see its use. If anyone could give me a short list style rundown of required mods, it would certainly make this easier and I would greatly appreciate appreciate it.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Police Conversion...

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:55 pm

The Police 870's also have a metal trigger guard. Depends on exactly how faithful of a P-clone you want to make, whether or not to include that on your list of mods. I like that mine has it, but I'm not sure I'd bother to swap it out if it came with the polymer version. You should be fine on the mag spring if it came from the factory with the +2 extension. Enjoy the project, the MM's are great-looking shotguns, hoping I'll get to handle one at some point.

Steve
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

cv0lv0g0
Global Moderator

Post by cv0lv0g0 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 pm

The mag spring should be good enough and the extractor should already be a machined one.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Police Conversion...

Post by JBall » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Are you positive the "express" model MM (sugg. Retail 829.00) comes with a non-MIM extractor? Anyone please weigh in.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:47 pm

The Marine Magnums have a MM-specific extractor with a separate part number, that is different from both the forged 870 extractors and the Express parts. I don't know what the exact metallurgy is, but a MIM extractor will have a telltale bump on the outside that indicates it as such:

There's nothing wrong with the polymer trigger plates, they're actually more impact-resistant than the compressed aluminum ones in most environments. In any case, I believe all MM 870s have the polymer part. Unless you really hate plastic, and are willing to find an aluminum trigger plate and swap all your other trigger group components over, your current assembly is about top-of-the-line.

The different weights for the sear and carrier dog follower springs are mostly a matter of preference. They're cheap though, so you're not risking much by experimenting.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Police Conversion...

Post by JBall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 am

It's got the bump! So I should replace with a non-MIM even if it is better than an "express" extractor? Is it nickel plated or something. It doesn't seem to be...

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:48 pm

There are three 12ga 870 extractors on Remington's 2012 parts list:

F16176 - EXTRACTOR 12-16-20 GA - $14.00
F99046 - EXTRACTOR 12-20 GA EXP (MIM) - $7.80
F97597 - EXTRACTOR MARINE MAG - $11.00

As far as I know, all Marine Magnums will have the same part.

I really don't believe the MIM extractors are as bad as internet opinion makes them out to be. For all the derision and occasional stories of manufacturing defects that got missed in inspection, there are millions of 870s out there running flawlessly with MIM extractors, including mine. If it makes you more confident or if you just enjoy upgrading your gun, go for it; it's not a very expensive part. From a purely functional standpoint though, I wouldn't consider it a required upgrade unless you're actually having problems with your current part.

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 am

Much ado about nothing in my opinion regarding the alleged inferior MIM extractors. Have been running Express model 870's for years....never a problem. My gunsmith says much of that tends to be unwarranted BS as well. To each thier own however.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Police Conversion...

Post by JBall » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:02 am

Thanks I appreciate the input and am beginning to believe you are correct. I haven't had a hang up yet that wasn't "self-induced". It seems to be a lot of ignorant Internet rambling and I bought into it because a CNC machined part from bar stock will on obviously be a "tougher" part. In this case, seeing as I'm not Rambo, I don't believe it makes any difference under normal wear 'n' tear circumstances.