Recommend me a 870 Model

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Recommend me a 870 Model

Post by ponycarman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Installing the carrier is very easy. If I can do it anyone can haha. I did notice when I replaced mine that the new carrier wasn't quite positioned properly. It would catch on the action bars when the action was worked. I tweaked it a bit and got it well aligned and working smoothly.

Hunters21w
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Hunters21w » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 pm

The thing that I don't understand is why he would recommend me a new trigger assembly. That's not going to fix the flex tab is it?

I will call back and hopefully get a new person that can price me out those 3 parts.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Recommend me a 870 Model

Post by JBall » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:20 am

The new polymer assembly would have the new "notched out" flex tab carrier but wouldn't be the "complete" 3 part conversion as Sync mentioned.

Hunters21w
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Hunters21w » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:45 pm

So it wouldn't fully have the flex tab upgrade then correct?

Edit: called Remington again and got prices for all 3 parts.
Carrier Assembly: $20
Slide Assembly: $22
Breech Bolt Assembly: $84

The Remington rep also said the Trigger Assembly wouldn't not be the full upgrade which I what I figured.

I emailed Wilson Combat to see if they replace these 3 parts as part of the Wilson Steal, and also what other parts they may replace.

This is what Wilson said they will replace.

"We will be rebuilding the bolt and trigger group. If there are any worn parts, we will replace them with the milled steel version."

He also replied with another email.

"I just called my shotgun guy. He said he does not change those parts out. He told me that when he rebuilds the trigger group, that he adds the flex tab to it. We do not really know what all Remington does when they upgrade one of there shotguns."

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Hunters21w wrote:So it wouldn't fully have the flex tab upgrade then correct?

Edit: called Remington again and got prices for all 3 parts.
Carrier Assembly: $20
Slide Assembly: $22
Breech Bolt Assembly: $84

The Remington rep also said the Trigger Assembly wouldn't not be the full upgrade which I what I figured.
I think the idea with recommending the trigger plate assembly is that it's a simple drop-in part that would give your gun the updated carrier without any fuss. Kind of like buying an entire replacement front strut for your car instead of just buying a new shock absorber element, and trying to rebuild the strut yourself in your garage (which is a good way to injure yourself if your strut has a captive spring, and you don't have the right tools or know-how). It also wouldn't surprise me if Remington's customer service reps are instructed to try to discourage customers from working on their own trigger assemblies.
Hunters21w wrote:I emailed Wilson Combat to see if they replace these 3 parts as part of the Wilson Steal, and also what other parts they may replace.

This is what Wilson said they will replace.

"We will be rebuilding the bolt and trigger group. If there are any worn parts, we will replace them with the milled steel version."

He also replied with another email.

"I just called my shotgun guy. He said he does not change those parts out. He told me that when he rebuilds the trigger group, that he adds the flex tab to it. We do not really know what all Remington does when they upgrade one of there shotguns."
That's what I suspected. The carrier is the most visible element of the flex-tab fix, and a lot of people seem to assume that it's all that is needed. You really need all three for the system to work as designed though. Ponycarman tried some combinations of old and new parts when updating his gun, and found this to be the case (some of the discussion here).

Hunters21w
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Hunters21w » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:58 am

Yea I will probably just order them through Remington then as I'd like to do it correctly. I don't see it as a first priority as I don't plan on using it as a primary home defense weapon, and the jam it prevents seems like a very rare occurrence.

I think I'm ready to order some new magpul furniture on Friday :)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:43 am

Hunters21w wrote: Yea I will probably just order them through Remington then as I'd like to do it correctly. I don't see it as a first priority as I don't plan on using it as a primary home defense weapon, and the jam it prevents seems like a very rare occurrence.
Yeah, it's not a huge issue, especially for something that's not a dedicated defense or competition gun. The problem is almost always the result of user error anyway. If your shell latches are so worn that they're letting shells slip out of the magazine with the action closed, they need to be replaced ASAP.

If you do get around to doing the flex-tab upgrade, you should look into used parts. A used bolt especially can save you quite a bit of money.

Hunters21w
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Hunters21w » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Yea that's what it sounds like from researching around online.

I actually just started a Christmas list, might just throw some of those parts on there for my Gf lol.
Any advice on which sling/ attachment would match up well with the magpul furniture? I've read good reviews about the ms3 but what attachment would I need to mount it? The forward sling mount? I don't want to mount it to the receiver since I will have the Mesa shell holder there.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:51 am

Sync is right about the used parts. Especially the bolt. I was able to find a used chome updated bolt for less than half the price of a new one. It took a while for it to pop up though. The matte finish bolts are much easier to find but I wanted to keep mine looking classic with the chome and blueing.

All three parts are needed for it to work properly. From my experiments it would sorta work with other combinations but the force needed to clear the action was pretty high. Pretty much have to slam open and I was taking chunks out of the rim of the shells. With the proper parts the force reqired to clear the action is just a little more than normal. Its pretty amazing how well it all works to prevent that specific malfunction.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 am

Hunters21w wrote:Any advice on which sling/ attachment would match up well with the magpul furniture? I've read good reviews about the ms3 but what attachment would I need to mount it? The forward sling mount? I don't want to mount it to the receiver since I will have the Mesa shell holder there.
Magpul's SGA furniture set has a lot of different options for attaching a sling. I'd check out their website, and see what other folks here have done with theirs. I haven't used any of them myself, but I have heard that their receiver sling mount is the opposite of comfortable if you try to switch trigger hands.
If that's a concern for you, you may want to look at stock attachment points that are further back toward the butt.

For the sling itself, if you're not sure exactly what you want to run (single point vs. double, attachment locations and types, etc), I'd hold off on buying something high-end and expensive. Get something cheap, or make something yourself out of strapping and duct tape, and give it an extended trial run to make better sure that you won't be dropping a lot of money on something that just doesn't work for you.