Recommend me a 870 Model

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Hunters21w
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Recommend me a 870 Model

Post by Hunters21w » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Hey guys just joined this forum, I am new to Shotguns. I have a glock 19 that I've been shooting for awhile but I would like to build a shotgun. It's main purposes will be Home Defense/Range. Once a year I would like to take it to hunt whitetail deer.

So far the 870 Express 7rd Synthetic 18" barrel seems like the way to go. However, I cannot find any locally so I'm opening up my options to a Wingmaster.

These are the upgrades I would like to do:

upgrade the magazine spring to Nordic components.
Upgrade sear spring
Upgrade carrier latch spring to carrier dog
Magpul sga stock
Magpul Moe forend
Mag extension +2 Wilson Combat
Replace extractor to non-mim extractor
Mesa tactical 6 shell side saddle

All I can think of right now. It's similar to the police model 870. I read the Wingmaster has some of these upgrades so not all are necessary. However the express needs all of these. Which would you recommend me?

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!
-Matt

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Recommend me a 870 Model

Post by ponycarman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Express models sometimes need fine tuning. Mine has been fine but it was already a few years old already when I bought it. I intentionally bought a used one to minimize problems. I figured if it had issues it would have already been broken in or sent back to the factory to be fixed.

The wingmasters are excellent. Very nice shotguns. I grabbed an older one for $150 and I'm very happy with it. I added a shorter barrel and extended mag.

Either is a good choice. If it were me I would snag a wingmaster if you can find one at a good price. I have fun modifying my firearms so that doesn't bother me :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Hunters21w
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Hunters21w » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Yea I can't find any new 870 Expresses with the short barrel, they're all long. I would just buy the bigger one and then order a small one but man are they pricey.

I did find an older Wingmaster that I'm considering. I am just hesitant to buying used as my only gun I have I bought new. Plus at $350 it's not exactly a steal of a deal. Especially if you got yours for $150 lol.

Know of any online stores with an Express 18" in stock?

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Maybe buds gun shop or gun broker. Don't be afraid to buy used. You can save alot of money. Just give it a good look over for anything that looks wrong or out of place. 870's are built like tanks so even the used ones are great. Alot of times , more used makes them smoother and slicker when working the action.

$350 isn't too bad for a wingmaster. New they are much more. Mine was a one in a million. I've never found another close to that price. If I do, then it will be mine :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:08 am

Hunters21w wrote:These are the upgrades I would like to do:

upgrade the magazine spring to Nordic components.
Upgrade sear spring
Upgrade carrier latch spring to carrier dog
Magpul sga stock
Magpul Moe forend
Mag extension +2 Wilson Combat
Replace extractor to non-mim extractor
Mesa tactical 6 shell side saddle

All I can think of right now. It's similar to the police model 870. I read the Wingmaster has some of these upgrades so not all are necessary. However the express needs all of these. Which would you recommend me?

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!
-Matt
A couple notes on this:

>I believe Expresses use the same sear springs as the Police models, though a Wingmaster will likely have something different.

>Wingmasters should already come with a non-MIM extractor. If you buy an extension, it should come with a new spring, so you shouldn't have to buy a separate one.

>Newer Wingmasters and standard-capacity Expresses will need some work done before you can install a magazine extension. If you can find an Express with a factory-installed extension, you won't have to do any modifications.

>Since Wingmasters are hunting/competition guns, you may have trouble finding one that comes with an 18" or 18.5" riot barrel. You can buy them separately, but keep that added cost in mind (though having both defense and hunting/clay-shooting barresl for your 870 makes it a very nice multi-use firearm, so this may be a good thing).

The 870 is a tough gun. As long as it wasn't abused by a previous owner, you won't be limiting yourself buying used. Like Ponycarman said, 870s just tend to get better with use.

nbk13nw
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by nbk13nw » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:05 am

I just picked up an 870 Tactical and went almost the same upgrade path minus the trigger items and went the Knoxx recoil reducing route for the stock. I finished the build the day before shoulder surgery so I cannot comment on how it feels. I am sure you are going to enjoy it and good luck!

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Deerhunter 28
New Shotgunner

Recommend me a 870 Model

Post by Deerhunter 28 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:13 am

Buds gun shop
870 MagPul
$720.00 great gun

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 am

Deerhunter 28 wrote:Buds gun shop
870 MagPul
$720.00 great gun
The 870 Magpul is a single-purpose variant with a nonstandard-length mag tube. It's a fine choice for a dedicated combat shotgun, but the only 870 barrels built for that long mag tube are 18.5" tactical barrels. Hunting barrels cannot be installed on it without custom work.

Deerhunter 28
New Shotgunner

Recommend me a 870 Model

Post by Deerhunter 28 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:03 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Deerhunter 28 wrote:Buds gun shop
870 MagPul
$720.00 great gun
The 870 Magpul is a single-purpose variant with a nonstandard-length mag tube. It's a fine choice for a dedicated combat shotgun, but the only 870 barrels built for that long mag tube are 18.5" tactical barrels. Hunting barrels cannot be installed on it without

custom work.
Maybe or maybe not true? Idk!
I bought mine for Home protection not shooting deer,doves,skeet or what ever!

Thanks for the information .

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 am

Nothing at all wrong with an Express model...I currently own 6!:) All have been "customized" to some degree as well.