Which would you choose and why

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
krul1
New Shotgunner

Which would you choose and why

Post by krul1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:55 am

Hello all, new guy looking for help prior to purchase,,,Besides limited barrel selection could someone please give be the pros and cons of the 6+1 express synthetic model# 25077 over the 4+1 model # 25549. with and added mag tube extension.
Thanks for you knowledgeable replies
Last edited by krul1 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: new guys first post,need left hand help PLEASE

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:19 am

While I can't speak to every aftermarket offering out there, there's no difference in attachment or function between left-hand furniture and right-hand furniture. The only possible problem I can think of would be with a non-reversible side-folding stock blocking the ejection port. Other than that, you shouldn't have any issues.

Internal upgrades should all be the same, but there's only one type of left-handed extractor, so I'd take that upgrade off your list.

x-caliber
Shotgunner

Post by x-caliber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:00 am

I own a left handed Remington 870, the only real issue is no one makes a short left handed barrel, yes, the barrel is keyed differently for a Left handed rifle, so their is actually a left and right handed barrel which sounds stupid, so I am just going to cut down a long left handed barrel.

USMC6282
Shotgunner

Post by USMC6282 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:06 pm

I am a left handed shooter and i have no problem shooting guns that are meant for right handers. the only thing that bugs me is the safety but u get used to that. the ejection port if far enough forward to not have a shell hit you. as far as shotshell carriers, the left mounted one actually isnt that bad. i actually can speed reload pretty fast. eject round (pull pump back), turn gun so the ejection port is up holding shotgun with right hand on pump still and in the shoulder, use left hand to grab the shell and load it in, turn and grip the gun again and slam the round home and fire. theres a misconception that left handers need left hand specific guns and thats completely false. you just need to learn how to use the weapon most effectively.

hope this helps

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:11 pm

USMC6282 wrote:the only thing that bugs me is the safety but u get used to that.
You can have a left-handed safety on a right-handed trigger group, if you want.

krul1
New Shotgunner

Post by krul1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 am

Thanks for the advice,I have shot the 870 with no issues just thought if I was to purchase it would make sense to get a "lefty" but I guess i will skip that. now my question is, I am thinking about the 7 shot synthetic express # 25077,,, I would like to hear the pros and cons of this model, what I am trying to decide is what advantage if any does the factory 7 shot capacity have over the shorter mag with an added tube.
Thanks

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 pm

krul1 wrote:I would like to hear the pros and cons of this model, what I am trying to decide is what advantage if any does the factory 7 shot capacity have over the shorter mag with an added tube.
The only advantage of the 6-round magazine tube over a 4-round with an extension is that it makes take-down and reassembly faster and easier. Otherwise, you'll have a lot more options if you base your build on a standard receiver.