stock with pistol grip recommendations?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
x-caliber
Shotgunner

stock with pistol grip recommendations?

Post by x-caliber » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:01 am

I am considering a phoenix technology kicklite stock, anyone know anything about these? my friend just put one on but has not shot it yet, is there a favorite/recommended stock that has a pistol grip?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: stock with pistol grip recommendations?

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 am

My advice would be to find a way to try whatever stock you're considering yourself before buying it. Personal fit is a really complex thing, and while reviews from other people can be quite helpful in evaluating a product's features, durability, or function; no one can really tell you if it'll just plain fit right, because no one else is you.

That's the two cents I feel qualified to contribute here. Personally, I don't really like pistol-grip stocks that much on shotguns; they don't seem to fit me well, and I greatly prefer the way traditional stocks handle and feel with regard to wrist angles.

DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Have to agree with Synch, here. I have tried several friends' guns equipped with pistol grips and never found one that just fell into my grip. Always felt awkward. I will grant that it might be due to 40 years of traditional stocks, and your mileage may vary if you are already used to one. I took a quick look at the Phoenix online and I have to wonder if the "block" at the end of the receiver will smack you in the face if you have a proper cheek weld... just my 2¢
Have faith in humanity, but keep your finger close to the trigger.

x-caliber
Shotgunner

Post by x-caliber » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks, I am on the other end of the pistol grip, I've spent 23 years in the Army carring an M-16, M-16A2, M4 so I have grown into it I guess.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Im all for tacticool gear... When its useful. Pistol grip on a pump shotgun is a negative in functionality in my experience. No instructors really run pistol grips that ive seen. Theres a reason.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:39 am

Hah, you came looking for advice on these stocks, x-caliber, but only seem to have found those of us who don't like them.

There's really no inherent advantage to having a traditional stock over a pistol-grip, or vice versa. It's an ergonomic consideration, and folks like one or the other based on preference, personal fit, and training. There's a reason Remington offers its LE shotguns with both traditional and pistol-grip stocks. In your case, given your experience with AR-15 rifles, having a similar setup on your shotgun may well be a better choice, since you've already developed muscle memory and handling habits with that kind of grip.

Again, I don't have the experience to make a recommendation on this product; but I can recommend that you offer to pay for ammo, gas, snacks, and so on, and take an afternoon to go shooting with your friend and his shotgun. Shoot it, handle it, run with it, practice loading and clearing, put it through its paces and see how it works for you. If you like it, great. If not, at least you'll have a better idea how you feel about a pistol-grip on a shotgun, and you'll know better what features to look for or avoid if you're considering other stocks.

El Bandito
New Shotgunner

Post by El Bandito » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Personally, I find a PG stock with about a 13-inch LOP really helps me control recoil and is more comfortable. I am a fairly small guy, 5'8'' and 160 lbs, and have been shooting pistol-gripped rifles since I was a pre-teen (now in college). Best stock I have yet found for my tastes is the SpeedFeed MK-IV stock, which I cut down about the width of the recoil pad (LOP was waay too long!) Basically made it an IV-S on a budget. The gun now handles perfectly and is just the right fit for me. Solid stock, easy to modify if you wish, I would recommend it without any reservations. Hope you find a good stock and that this was helpful!
Bandito