SideSaddle - Right or left?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

SideSaddle - Right or left?

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Hey gang, great to be here and I've pulled a heck of a lot of new info into my brain already. I do have a question. I am going to convert my Express Mag to an HD and would like some thoughts/comments on which side a right-handed shooter might prefer a SideSaddle?

Thanks in advance - Rick.
Have faith in humanity, but keep your finger close to the trigger.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: SideSaddle - Right or left?

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Well, for a right-handed 870, most people put the sidesaddle on the left side of the receiver. That side has more space available since there is no ejection port. There are options for mounting a sidesaddle on the right side of the receiver, but you won't be able to fit as many shells on that side.

I'm a right-handed shooter, and I prefer the left-side sidesaddle because I flip the gun over and use my right hand to load shells.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Yeah, if you are right handed then the obvious choice would be the left side. You can get up to 8 shells on that side with the right saddle. If you want even more then like Synchronizor said, they do have options for the right side but I believe the most you would be able to get is 2-4 shells and 4 is pushing it my friend.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:39 pm

You could try both?

Personally, having over four shells on a single side, i.e. six or even eight these days, unbalances the shotgun too much for my taste. I have seen where people put Mesa shot-shell side-saddle carriers on both sides, which would add quite a bit of weight, but might help balance things out.

I've often wondered what it would be like to take a defensive shotgun class with a left-handed 870, but shooting from the right shoulder and doing tactical reloads without canting the shotgun over to the side to drop a shell into the ejection port, or, if your initial education was as dated as mine, reaching underneath with the left hand to "palm" a shell into the right side during a tactical reload....
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Left is where I was leaning in any case, and I appreciate all your input. Happy shooting.

Rick
Have faith in humanity, but keep your finger close to the trigger.