Differences between 870 models

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
ecv
New Shotgunner

Differences between 870 models

Post by ecv » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Difference between Express an Law Enforcement version:

Here's what Remington says about the differences between the Express and the Police:

REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, LE DIVISION
Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns

The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market.
It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality.
All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences.
It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models.
Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.
While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police.
To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance. Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

Carlo1137
Valued Shotgunner

Re: Differences between 870 models

Post by Carlo1137 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 pm

I think this has been talked about in the following thread:

http://www.rem870.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=466

:)
BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6

ecv
New Shotgunner

Post by ecv » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Carlo1137 wrote:I think this has been talked about in the following thread:

http://www.rem870.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=466

:)
I posted the ENTIRE information per Remington. :D

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:26 am

I'm pretty sure this is an old document that isn't completely accurate anymore.

ecv
New Shotgunner

Post by ecv » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 am

Synchronizor wrote:I'm pretty sure this is an old document that isn't completely accurate anymore.
That sure is very possible. Does a revised version of this exist? If so could someone please post it.

Thanks,

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 am

I've never seen an updated version of this document, but this is what I know to be different, or still true. If someone else here has corrections or other input, I'd love to hear it.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.
These are likely still true, though specifics may be different. A lot of what you're paying for in a higher-end 870 is more human attention.
• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
Remington's 2012 parts list shows heavy versions of all these springs, but I believe at least some of the Express models (especially the Tactical ones) come with some of these heavy springs as well.
• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.
As far as I know, no current-production 870s come with that mess installed anymore. Now, they ship with a very nice separate gun lock.
• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.
Some Expresses, like the Express Tactical models, now come with SpeedFeed furniture.
• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
This depends on the model. 870 Expresses that come from the factory with a magazine extension installed have smooth magazine tubes and barrels with the ball-detent. I've also seen other hunting barrels with pre-drilled guide rings that allow them to have the detent installed. Barrels without the locking detent do not need to be modified to be used with an extension, but they may come loose after extended firing if the extension is not clamped.
• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.
I've heard that newer Police 870s are using polymer trigger groups, but not from any source I'd trust completely. In any case, synthetics have been proven to be tougher than compressed aluminum, as the latter is brittle, and does not handle impacts well.
• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.
These are all still true. Expresses have lower-end finishes, and do not receive as much attention during finishing. For most who buy Expresses, this level of finishing and materials is just fine for hunting, HD, or range fun.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 pm

My $.02 on the metal/poly trigger guard on the 870P - I bought my Police Magnum in August 2012 and trigger guard is in fact metal. Can't say whether or not they're still metal, but as recently as August of last year, they were. Also, my gun did not ship with any lock, ISS or otherwise.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Came across this today on Remington's website:

"Structurally the two receivers are identical. The only difference will be that the Police model will have a more durable finish. The magazine tubes will be slightly different. The Model 870 Express will have two indents in the magazine tube to accommodate the new style plastic magazine spring retainer. However, this prevents the Express model from accepting a magazine tube extension without alteration to the tube.

Other differences will be that the Police model includes sling swivel studs, a shorter fore-end, heavier shell latches, a heavier sear spring and a heavier magazine spring."

This was posted in early 2012.