Old beat up wingmaster

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
USMC6282
Shotgunner

Old beat up wingmaster

Post by USMC6282 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm

So a few weeks ago i purchased an old remmington 870. looked up the serial and found that it is older than i am. it's a 1979 wingmaster with the barrel cut to 18.5". when i first recieved it the safety was stuck in the off position, and it was a little (really dirty in my standards) condition. upon coming home i tore it all apart and found cosmoline on the bolt and trigger group. its weird because i figured the previous owner would have cared for it. so did a full inspection, complete cleaning, repaired the safety, and put it all back together. then i didnt like how the worn bluing looked so started to sand the reciever and finally decided to hand polish it starting at 80 grit and progressing to 3000 grit wet/dry and finally polishing paste. then i noticed the stock was cracked in multiple spots so that had to go. all in all i purchased the gun for 200 dollars and put 250 into it.

Mods:
Magpul MOE foregrip 30
Magpul SGA stock 99
Magpul MS3 QD sling 50
Magpul GD grommit for SGA stock 14
GG&G follower 30
Oversized safety 15

this is just after the polishing job
ImageShow more
ImageShow more

and after
ImageShow more
ImageShow more

if you have any questions feel free to ask. theres a couple more things i want to do but havent finalized it yet. she shoots really accurate ( dead center of a paint can @35 yards with bead sight and 1oz slug

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Old beat up wingmaster

Post by ponycarman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Very nice! Good looking shotgun!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

TYFOON
Shotgunner

Post by TYFOON » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 am

I normally dont go for "shiny" but that gun looks good~!

USMC6282
Shotgunner

Post by USMC6282 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 am

I dont normally either. as i was sanding the blue off the metal i realized that the steel used in the making of the weapon was actually really good quality. as i progressed up the grits it just looked better and better. after i finished i left it as it is and gave it a nice coat of Rem-oil to help protect it. i left the inside of the reciever its original color. all the upgrades that i currently did to the weapon can be done by any gun owner. my next decision to make is whether or not to install a 20 inch rail on top to mount some rifle sights as i do not particularly like the bead sight, or get a short 4 inch rail and install a red dot sight. i will be purchasing a cantilever rifled barrel to shoot Hornaday sst sabot rounds through but that will only be for the hunting season.

heres me shooting a can of paint @35 yards with a 1oz slug.
http://youtu.be/w6u_PFP1__c

anyways. im always open to options and would love to hear what sighting options worked for you.

thanks
Ed

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Wow. You did a great job with the polishing. Normally I am NOT a fan of flashy or shiny firearms but you did a great job and the Magpul Set looks awesome.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

USMC6282
Shotgunner

Post by USMC6282 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks. i used to repair canopies on Harrier jets in the Marines and we were taught how to sand and restore the clarity on the acrylic. it applies to just about anything from wood, metal, composites, and plastics. i have not seen anyone else with a polished 870 as of yet. im going to be getting some froglube to keep it from rusting.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah that would be a great idea. Does it take a lot of up keep to keep that kind of finish? How durable is it?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:17 pm

The gun looks pretty sweet. If i wasnt concerned about shinyness "giving me away" i might consider doing the same if i could figure out a nice clear coat that wouldnt kill the sheen. Thats the first magpul kit ive seen in Tan. It looks much better then the black version. My question for your video is, where did the first shot go? Im not hating at all. I just got back from shooting with a friend. He kills me.. he shoots until he gets a good result then says "yeah thats perfect" and puts the gun away. He immediatly forgets about the 5 misses but that last ringer means it will do that from now on if he puts it away i guess lol... Hes one of those guys that likes to do what hes good at. avoids anything he might not excel at. I finally got him to do reload drills today... i worked his ass...35 year veteran bird hunter got smoked by the young buck... lol.. "but if i had a mag extension too" well you dont and you always say youll rock dudes in a fire fight... But right now youd be overwhelmed by me. lol... sorry for the rant...

USMC6282
Shotgunner

Post by USMC6282 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:42 am

that first shot was at a 2 liter bottle on the ground to the left of the cheez its container. if you look just past the base of the curved tree youll see it. i exploded that as well. i had 10 slugs and 5 buck shot that day. actually going out again tomorrow shooting ill take more video and post it up. i dislike the bead sight and it annoys the crap out of me but im learning to deal with it until i figure out what i want to get for a final solution. i have plans fora rifled barrel with a nikon slughunter shooting Hornaday sst 300g sabot rounds but that will be for deer and moose hunting.

as for the finish i just did it a few weeks ago and its holding up well. just a nice cleaning and a coat of rem oil so far. the magazine tube has slight scratch marks but thatll all sand out easily and is not super visible. while it may not be "tactical" when a barrel is pointing at a target im pretty sure the last thing that hes thinking about is seeing your reciever. i know if i heard the cocking of a shotgun and i was an intruder id probably be turning around pretty fast. only thing i may run into is a sunny day in snow cover causing reflections that scare away an animal but then again i see chrome lever actions all the time.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:21 pm

As far as sights. Look at XS big dot sights. They make one that epoxies over your bead sight.