Tactical Extended Rem Choke for 870

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Tactical Extended Rem Choke for 870

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:23 am

Well, for me at least, $50 is pretty spendy for a purely cosmetic addition. But that's the view of an engineer with limited spending money, so take it in that context.

I do own a Remington breacher choke, but I found mine on sale during an out-of-town ammo run for twenty-something. At the time, I was already planning on ordering a flush-mount Cylinder choke tube for pattern testing, which would have been $15-20 after tax and shipping, so I figured the novelty of having the "tacti-cool" breacher choke was worth the $10 extra (plus, it's nice to have for my videos and my work here, since it comes standard on a number of Remington shotguns).

However, I've only really shot with that tube when pattern testing, and once to cut up some firewood. When running a Rem-Choke barrel on defensive or combat build, I'll use a basic IC or Modified tube instead; and I think anyone looking to assemble a serious combat build should do the same (or, if they're only going to use one constriction and the option is there, just get a fixed-choke barrel). A Cylinder breacher choke makes the gun longer while doing nothing to help the pattern, and if a situation ever calls for blowing a lock or hinge, it can be done perfectly well without a specialized stand-off.

CJConrad
New Shotgunner

Post by CJConrad » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:36 pm

My apologies for not getting back in this earlier, but I hadn't received notification that the thread was updated, so I had thought no one had responded (my thanks to Synchronizer and Zebra et al). Anyway, I have the following information (some of which you guys already posted) regarding parts to make my long-tube 870 more like the tactical model:
#F403381 Rail & Ghost Ring Set Assembly $170 (I ordered mine 03 Dec, received 07 Dec)
#F407616 18.5” Remchoke barrel (with Cerakote finish) $150 (debating when to get this, but will surely)
#F401501 Muzzle Brake Choke $ 44 (I will defer this for awhile)

Now my immediate decision has me filled with angst. As the tactical barrel has the Cerakote finish, and I wanted to improve the entire gun's finish, I want to do the rest of it in baked Cerakote. I don't need to re-do the barrel, and my forend and butt stock are synthetic, so don't need those done.

I want a quality job, flat black bake-on Cerakote, all parts that will practically benefit from it. I'd like to take it locally, but am willing to send it off to someone that has great reputation for doing this. I don't mind a 5-6 week wait, if needed. I've had quotes ranging from $100 to $300, yet everyone is vague about what parts they apply this to. The gun is brand new and I've never even chambered a round -- any thoughts, or should I start a new thread?

Thanks!!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Well, before you start dumping hundreds of dollars into your gun, I would strongly suggest shooting the thing. If there are any problems with the gun, you'll want to identify and address them before modifying or refinishing anything. You'll also get a better idea of what you like and don't like about the gun, so you can identify other things you want to change, or save yourself some time and money if you decide that there are things that you don't want to change after all. If nothing else, 870s function much better after an initial run-in period, and the new finish will look and hold up better if the gun was properly broken in before it was refinished.

If you want to discuss Cerakote in detail, go ahead and start a separate thread.

CJConrad
New Shotgunner

Post by CJConrad » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Synchronizer -- thanks for the sound advice!

CJConrad
New Shotgunner

Post by CJConrad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:00 am

I took my new parts (and the gun) to a local gunsmith for installation All is well EXCEPT that he can't find the "Carrier Latch Spring" (F16966) in his book, so he doesn't know where it goes! I don't know if this should shake my confidence, or its just a matter of terminology ...? As this is a replacement part from a higher model, does anyone know what the part number is in the lower-end 870 I have -- hopefully that would be in his book.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:43 am

The F16966 springs are only used in the 1100, 11-87, and 11-96 semi-automatic shotguns. As pump-action guns, 870s don't have carrier latch springs.

Some 870 owners replace their carrier dog follower springs with similarly-sized, but slightly heavier carrier latch springs from semi-auto Remington shotguns. There's a lot of misinformation about how this actually affects the gun's function, it's usually claimed that it will make the carrier operate more reliably, but that's not really true for springs in good condition. An extra-heavy CDFS will give you some extra ingress protection in the loading port by stiffening up the carrier in its "down" position, and possibly longer effective spring life (though it should still be replaced at appropriate intervals); but the action won't cycle as smoothly, and loading the magazine is less forgiving. It's a trade-off that makes sense in some situations, but most of the time it's best to stick with the spring weight the gun was designed for.

CJConrad
New Shotgunner

Post by CJConrad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Synchronizer: well, that explains why he couldn't find it. It also convinces me to tell him to leave the original part in place. It sure would be nice to have a single post to go to that succinctly explains the "hardening" options for the 870 Express, with the pros/cons of each, along with their order numbers. I spent 3 or 4 hours getting a bit here and a bit there, but apparently failing to put it all together into a useful order/expenditure. I just want a superbly reliable, decent-looking, low-maintenance, home defense (or even SHTF scenario) 12ga shotgun that will last what's left of my lifetime and then on to a few more generations ...

Thanks for your sound advice along the way!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:19 am

CJConrad wrote:I just want a superbly reliable, decent-looking, low-maintenance, home defense (or even SHTF scenario) 12ga shotgun that will last what's left of my lifetime and then on to a few more generations ...
You get that when you buy an 870, any 870. Pick a model with the finish and features that meet your needs and tastes (or reconfigure some other 870 that way), get it broken in properly, add accessories and/or aftermarket parts if needed or desired, and you'll have exactly what you're describing.

There's nothing mechanically inferior about the lower-priced Express line. They may be a little rougher out of the box, and the finish isn't the best choice for regular, heavy use in harsh conditions, but they're an 870 like any other where it counts.

the gman
New Shotgunner

Post by the gman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:55 pm

I just bought a Breacher choke tube from my local Sportsman's Warehouse chain store for $29.00 + tax. In the nature of FYI.... :D