Tactical Extended Rem Choke for 870

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Re: Tactical Extended Rem Choke for 870

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:57 pm

wyatt66 wrote:Thanks for the insight. In the short time since my original post, I've decided to scrap the idea. My new dilemma, laser sight or flashlight?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Hi, in my honest opinion lasers really have no place on a shotgun. You should be able to hit your target even with no sight whatsoever installed. In a HD situation especially you should be within 20 feet of your target and should hit your target by simply pointing your barrel at him. LOL I kid.

I am a firm believer on ALL HD guns having a light of at least 120-150 lumens. Strobes are cool but not good for the shooters eyes. Recent drills and tests have shown that most shooters miss the entire target half of the time when using strobe mode on their light.

My recommendation would be to invest in a good, solid light with a remote switch and mount it next to the barrel/mag using a tri-rail mount. This way if you do decide to go with both you can add it later. Also, Streamlight makes a light laser combo that is nice and low profile but is rather pricey. Roughly $250-300 :?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 pm

*UPDATE*

My last post was inaccurate I just found out.

The Streamlight TLR-4 light is only $124.99 on Brownells (out of stock however :x )

Has light, laser and is ultra small. Perfect for what you want. Two accessories in one. :D
-Only downside is it is only 110 lumens. Still pretty bright though.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... px?ttver=2
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

wyatt66

Post by wyatt66 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for the great information ry. I'll definitely consider that option. I'm still on the fence about adding anything to the 870. Sometimes less is more.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:47 pm

No I completely agree on the simple is best. Im currently working on a cobat 870. But not like most people think. It is for strict functionality and reliability. Going to stay as simple as I can. But I believe a light is always necessary, especially in a tactical/HD situation. They make lots of small, low profile yet effective lights.
- George Orwell

CJConrad
New Shotgunner

Post by CJConrad » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:28 am

I know this is an old thread, but I've been looking for the best way to upgrade my new 870 Express (has the longer tube) to a barrel exactly like the one posted by Synchronizer on the first page of this forum. I want that rail (not part of the barrel, of course), that breech, that front blade! However, when I go to any site that sells barrels, they don't show pictures, so I don't want to order "blind" ... Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:12 am

I doubt you'll find that specific barrel on any 3rd-party website, that model is too recent. You can probably order what you're looking for if call or email Remington's parts department directly, just make sure the person you're talking to understands that you need the Express Tactical barrel for the special long-mag-tube receiver. The phone operators in Remington's customer service department aren't gunsmiths, and they aren't always up-to-date on every special variant of everything Remington makes. This is understandable, but it's been an issue in the past when people try to order barrels for nonstandard models. At the moment, Remington hasn't updated their online parts list with the barrel you’re looking for, so I can’t give you a part number to help confirm before you order.

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:12 am

Synchronizor wrote:I doubt you'll find that specific barrel on any 3rd-party website, that model is too recent. You can probably order what you're looking for if call or email Remington's parts department directly, just make sure the person you're talking to understands that you need the Express Tactical barrel for the special long-mag-tube receiver. The phone operators in Remington's customer service department aren't gunsmiths, and they aren't always up-to-date on every special variant of everything Remington makes. This is understandable, but it's been an issue in the past when people try to order barrels for nonstandard models. At the moment, Remington hasn't updated their online parts list with the barrel you’re looking for, so I can’t give you a part number to help confirm before you order.
The part number for this barrel is F407616 and retails for $150 plus shipping and handling. I submitted an inquiry with Remington about a month ago asking almost the same question. Only two barrels fit the 870 with the long mag tube. The one I got and the one I want. Remington also says they "may" have other options "next year" but I wouldn't hold my breath.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Zebra62 wrote:The part number for this barrel is F407616 and retails for $150 plus shipping and handling. I submitted an inquiry with Remington about a month ago asking almost the same question.
Thanks for the information, Zebra62. Did they mention whether or not the breacher choke is included with that barrel?

tekrsq
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by tekrsq » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Zebra62 wrote:The part number for this barrel is F407616 and retails for $150 plus shipping and handling. I submitted an inquiry with Remington about a month ago asking almost the same question.
Thanks for the information, Zebra62. Did they mention whether or not the breacher choke is included with that barrel?
I doubt it. A buddy wanted to change his barrel to my barrel (the same as Synchronizer's), and our LGS told him the breach was not included. The good news (if I remember right), the breach wasn't that expensive. I think less than $50.

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
The breecher choke does not come with the barrel, but as tekrsq confirms, it isn't very expesive.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson