Red dot on a HD shotgun?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Red dot on a HD shotgun?

Post by Kentactic » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:06 am

A shotgun excells at fast sight aquisition. Put a red dot on a rifled bore deer shotgun but HD or "Go to war" guns id say you dont want a red dot on it. Extra weight, Extra crap to break. But i will add my two cents on a sling for HD. If the guns strapped to you then the bad guy cant point it at you. If the bad guy gets hands on your gun some how then you can start punching him in the face while he tries to figure out how to get that sling off you. The question with the red dot really is, What has the normal bead or single front sight done that makes you want to try to complicate things? My tritium front post allows for 2.5'' groups at 50 yards with slugs off hand. While were talking about this, a ghost ring sight setups even worse as you now have things that you have to line up. So you end up with a low ammo capacity, crappy accuracy, heavy recoiling rifle that you have to pump every shot.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Kentactic, What kind of tritium front post are you referring to - an XS Big Dot? And are you using any rear sight? I have a plain bead on a pedestal on my 870P and I keep hemming and hawing about that XS upgrade.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Chief Brody wrote:Kentactic, What kind of tritium front post are you referring to - an XS Big Dot? And are you using any rear sight? I have a plain bead on a pedestal on my 870P and I keep hemming and hawing about that XS upgrade.
Yes i have the XS big dot, no rear sight.