Please help me choose a finish

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
EZTundra77
New Shotgunner

Please help me choose a finish

Post by EZTundra77 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:53 am

I have heard that one particular 870 finish is the most prone to rust. I am about to buy An 870 for tactical/home defense. As I understand it, they come in the following finishes: Matte Black, Blasted Oxide, Blued, or stainless (marine). I dont wanna shell out the dough for the stainless. Is there a diff between the matte black and the blasted oxide?

Thanks

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Please help me choose a finish

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:24 pm

My 870P is parkerized, an extremely durable finish. When I was buying the gun, I asked to see an Express model in matte black to compare. The coloring looks similar but the park'd finish they say is damn near impossible to rust, and very scratch resistant, it's the just the best factory finish you can get in a flat black 870. Originally, I had my heart set on a blued gun, and I'll probably get one at some point. Very glad I went with parkerized.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

EZTundra77
New Shotgunner

Re: Please help me choose a finish

Post by EZTundra77 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:10 pm

I am thinking of getting the nickel-plated mariner 870. But I don't know if I can warrant the extra cost.