I Just Purchased A Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: I Just Purchased A Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:45 am

Thanks for the photos.

I seem to recall from pictures that Marine Magnums had a nickle-plated safety switch as well as the trigger & action bar lock:
Interesting that yours seems to be the standard black unit. I know that civilian Marine Magnums had a nickeled version of the dumb J-lock safety for awhile; maybe that's what I remember seeing, and Remington never did a standard switch with the nickle plating.

I'm in the school that prefers the plastic trigger plates (although I'm not a huge fan of the molded-in "Remington" in the newer ones). The powdered aluminum trigger plates show every single nick and scratch since they're silver under the paint, and there's an argument for the powder-cast aluminum being brittle, and less impact-resistant than the more flexible plastic. Both versions work fine though, and have been shown to be able to take a lot of abuse. I'm glad you found one that makes you happy.

billt
New Shotgunner

Post by billt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:31 am

Here are a few quick pics of mine. Not the clearest. Just off my phone. And mine has the metal trigger group. No Polymer. (Order Number 25047).

billt
New Shotgunner

Post by billt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:58 pm

There is one thing I would add of importance, seeing as this was a new purchase of a new Remington firearm manufactured under the Cerberus Capitol Management / Freedom Group umbrella. I see absolutely no evidence of any type of shoddy manufacturing, construction, or assembly that seems to be constantly associated with all of these newer production Remington firearms.

This gun appears to be every bit as good of an example of modern firearms manufacturing, as comes from any other gun maker out there. Fit, finish, along with things like stock to receiver fit, recoil pad installation, were all well executed. Granted not everyone is willing to pay close to $800.00 for a premier model of a pump shotgun. But this gun is as good or better of an example of firearms manufacturing as I've seen come from Remington. And that includes all of my Remington firearm purchases from back in the 70's when the company was owned by DuPont.

I would not hesitate to purchase any proven Remington design today, based on what I've seen with the purchase of this weapon. I just thought I would put this out there, because of all the accusations of bad Remington guns I constantly seem to be reading about on many gun forums lately. And many of those come from people who haven't purchased one recently.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:44 pm

I purchased a civilian marine magnum last year and I’ll have to agree with you that the fit and finish on that one is excellent as well. I believe that the civilian and police marines ar much closer than the regular express vs police models. My barrel chamber is almost mirror polished as compared to the inside of an non marine express model.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 am

The main difference between Express & Police models is the finishing anyway, so it's not surprising that the Police & civilian Marine Magnums are very mechanically comparable (specific features like the sights aside).