Newbie Question

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
tjmorales
New Shotgunner

Newbie Question

Post by tjmorales » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:46 am

Hello I am totally new to shotguns and I got my first Remington 870. If this question has been answered please direct me to the right thread. I mainly will use this for self defense and clay targets/ shooting range..no hunting. I do like that tactical look and no I am not breaking hinges or door knobs. I bought the tactical remington choke but the barrel of my 870 is not threaded.
Which one of the remington 870 barrels can this choke go on. Thanks again

cv0lv0g0
Global Moderator

Re: Newbie Question

Post by cv0lv0g0 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:12 am

Well any Remington barrel that has *REMCHOKE* that means it doesn't have a fixed barrel. I'll look up some but first question for you barrel length and I'm going to recommend rifle sight but that's your choice.

My recommendations.
A. Rifle sights
B. 20in if you are using full stock / 18 inch is using a PGO or folding stock. (20in is alil easier to find with REMCHOKE than the 18in)
C. If you want to do skeet shooting 20 in would be better if you don't want to buy another barrel.

It's a little bit different to shoot with a rifle sighted barrel you just have to get used to it.
OH btw it has to be smooth bore. Not rifled.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I found one but it's for a Wingmaster so you're paying for the finish.
Remington 24545 Barrel

Ill look for more tomorrow.

tjmorales
New Shotgunner

Post by tjmorales » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:57 am

cv0lv0g0 wrote:Well any Remington barrel that has *REMCHOKE* that means it doesn't have a fixed barrel. I'll look up some but first question for you barrel length and I'm going to recommend rifle sight but that's your choice.

My recommendations.
A. Rifle sights
B. 20in if you are using full stock / 18 inch is using a PGO or folding stock. (20in is alil easier to find with REMCHOKE than the 18in)
C. If you want to do skeet shooting 20 in would be better if you don't want to buy another barrel.

It's a little bit different to shoot with a rifle sighted barrel you just have to get used to it.
OH btw it has to be smooth bore. Not rifled.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I found one but it's for a Wingmaster so you're paying for the finish.
Remington 24545 Barrel

Ill look for more tomorrow.
thanks for the response, my setup right now is a folding stock with an 18 inch barrel with bead sight, so basically a barrel with a REMCHOKE is the one I need so I can put this choke on...thanks

cv0lv0g0
Global Moderator

Post by cv0lv0g0 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:25 am

OHHHHH... You may have similar problem I had.. Give me about 3 hours give or take 30 min I will be back to help you. I feel for you on this subject I had to make due with a Fixed IC on mine. But if you want a bead sight I'm very sure i can find one that has rem-choke. Which them later if you want to upgrade to rifle sights with a nice pair of ghost rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516311 ... bead-sight

Here you go, this one has rem-choke and is 18 1/2 inches. Later if you want and i recommend rifle sights.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/109166 ... parkerized

RainMan_JH
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RainMan_JH » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:17 pm

I realize you are using your 870 for a dual purpose, but you may want to consider a longer barrel. Keep your current barrell for home defense and possibly purchase the 28 inch barrell to put on when you are shooting clays. When shooting clays the longer barrell improves the overall experience. This of course just depends on how serious you want to get about it as well.

Just my 2 cents worth.