New 20 Gauge Build for Customer

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

New 20 Gauge Build for Customer

Post by UltimateGuns » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello all,

I just finished this Ultimate 870HD for a customer, this time in 20 gauge! Features include an upgraded extractor, upgraded carrier dog spring, 870 Police seat spring, Nordic Components magazine Follower and spring, Vang Comp Big Head safety, and Mesa Tactical aluminum shell carrier. For night time duty, it's equipped with a XS Big Dot tritium night sight and an incredible Elzetta 310 lumen flashlight. It's finished in Desert Sand Cerakote, and the action bars and breech bolt have been polished and coated with Cerakote MicroSlick. It cycles with two fingers!

The 20 gauge has a lot going for it as far as the Home Defense role. It's lighter and handier than a 12 gauge. It also offers a good tradeoff vs. the 12. The 20 gauge delivers 75% of the lead on target, but with only 50% of the recoil. It's the equivalent of two .44 Magnums at once. Enjoy, Denny!

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Re: New 20 Gauge Build for Customer

Post by TexasArmor84 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:03 pm

Beautiful! I like it!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:30 am

Looks great! I'm really impressed with how clean the Magpul stock looks using the Mesa adapter, and the Cerakote job is very attractive. I'll have to start pointing folks here when they complain that it's impossible to build a full-featured 20ga fighting 870.

However, I will put on my shotgun nerd hat and point out that there's nothing about the 20ga that makes it inherently lower-recoiling. Recoil is simply dependent on the momentum of what comes out of the barrel, and the mass of the gun itself. Smaller 20ga guns are already at a disadvantage when it comes to generating recoil energy thanks to their lighter mass, and the 12ga can handle payloads just as light as the 20 - with more shot size versatility to boot. There are plenty of low-recoil 12ga buckshot loads out there that shoot just as comfortably as typical 20ga buckshot - if not more so. 8 pellets of 00B, 9 pellets of 0B, and 21 pellets of #4B all add up to less lead than the popular 20ga 20-pellet #3B or 24-pellet #4B defensive loads.

Recoil aside though, a lighter and smaller 20ga gun can be easier for some folks to handle than a bigger 12ga gun, so there's that.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:25 am

Very nice package. Good choice of upgrades and components.