HD Training?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
vyadha
New Shotgunner

HD Training?

Post by vyadha » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Hi all
Im a new 870 owner, my intro post is http://www.rem870.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2599.

Ive hunted a lot with a bow and a few times with a rifle and been out shooting clays once (tons of fun!). And thats about all my experience with firearms. So Im thinking I should probably take soem sort of tactical/HD course with the 870.

Im in Southern CA and would love any info you have to share.. Books, blogs, course reviews, etc.

Thanks a lot
v

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: HD Training?

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:42 am

Can's speak for California-area classes, but if you're looking for books, Massad Ayoob's StressFire II - Advanced Combat Shotgun is a good read.

It's an early-'90s piece, so some of the stuff in there is kind of outdated or incomplete, such as load selection (we have far more options on the market today than were common in the '80s & '90s), 12- vs. 20-gauge (rendered much less significant thanks to the various low-recoil loads now widely-available for the 12ga), and accessories.

However, it does explore the wounding mechanisms of shotguns in some detail, drawing heavily from real-world shootings rather than YouTube videos of someone shooting water jugs. If you're the squeamish type though, be aware that there are pictures.

It also contains a lot of good info on tactics & techniques used by police for a variety of situations & cover types. Stances, positions, moving, grappling, reloading, etc. Not saying you'll be ready to jump into a SWAT team after reading it, and not all LE tactics translate directly to HD, but it should get you thinking in a productive direction, and give you some techniques you can practice on your own.

vyadha
New Shotgunner

Post by vyadha » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks! Ill check out that book!

torkwench13

Post by torkwench13 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Vyadha, if you're near Torrance, check out Shoot Safe Learning. I took a pistol class with them and was very impressed! They have shotgun programs as well.

Do an internet search; I'm sure you'll easily find the right class for you! :) linda

http://www.shootsafelearning.com/contact/index.lasso

vyadha
New Shotgunner

Post by vyadha » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks Linda! Ive been searching online and the place you provided hasnt come across my radar yet. Thanks you!

fdf

Post by fdf » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:36 am

Pahrump Nevada isn't too far. I've taken a couple of four day tactical shotgun courses at Frontsight. They were great.

NoahMead

Post by NoahMead » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 am

very good, thnk! :idea: