The "push/pull" technique of shooting the shotgun

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

The "push/pull" technique of shooting the shotgun

Post by Mifune326 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:47 pm

On the Magpul "Dynamic Shotgun" DVD, they touch on the "push/pull" technique of shooting the shotgun. I was always taught to pull the shotgun tight into your shoulder when firing.

The "push/pull" technique makes a lot of sense but Costa and Haley only touch on it on the DVD.

Anyone out there using this technique? If so, could you please take a minute to explain the whole "cycle" of firing the shotgun in this manner in a little more detail?

How much pressure you are pushing forward with vs. how much you are pulling with?

When in the act of firing the gun do you begin to push forward, just before you acquire a target or just after mounting the gun?

And how do you coordinate pushing forward on the fore-end, pulliong back to cycle the pump, and then back to pushing foreward again?

Thanks!

Chris

Vitaly
Owner

Re: The "push/pull" technique of shooting the shotgun

Post by Vitaly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Chris, have you seen interview with Chris Costa which I have recently published?

Here is part where he speaks about your question:
Rem870.com: Do you apply any pressure to forend in backward direction prior to pressing the trigger for faster follow up?

Chris Costa: This is something that you learn over the course of the days in which you shooting the gun the entire time and that is: you stretch the gun when you fire the gun, and then you have to collapse the gun, cycle the gun and then stretch it and fire at the exact same time. It definitely becomes a little bit of a musical dance with the gun, so that you can mitigate how much felt recoil you have to your shoulder area when employing the gun.

You have to put in a little bit technique and stretch the gun and collapse the gun and it takes time to time that. There’s timing issue that goes on with that. That’s one thing that hard to do dry fire. You can practice a little bit dry fire, but where you really notice it is when you actually have live ammunition coming out cause you know what wrong feels like very quickly.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AkiroHikage » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:13 am

I am actually in the process of watching Magpul's Art of the Dynamic Shotgun, and Costa does touch on it fairly well in the first DVD. I am not sure how much depth you want on a technique that really is something you have to learn when firing. Thinking about the stretch and collapse is just about making you get in the best position for recoil management and fast action with the pump.

I wouldn't recommend hugging the stock as tight as possible to your shoulder, a solid cheek weld is more important. The collapse is best immediately after the shotgun fires so you can cycle the pump during the recoil which takes advantage of some of that force. Costa's comment about it being a dance is true, if your motions are anticipating the gun firing you are already off.

It is really something you need to practice with live firing not just a dry fire exercises/DVD. Maybe bring a mobile DVD player out to your range :D
The tactical psychologist.

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:12 am

Thanks for the replies fellas. I know it's hard to describe what is going on exactly while you're executing a certain technique.

I think you're right, I'm just going to have to get out on the range and practice and see what works best for me!

The technique definitely makes sense. It's just contrary to everything I was taught way back when!

And thank you for the Costa interview Vitaly. It was extremely informative!

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:26 am

Well.....lets say it depends on what you are doing with your shotgun. Shooting a stationary steel popper in a 3-gun shoot is different than wing shooting. I have not heard of any shotgunning clays champion that uses push/pull on flying targets. If it works for runnin and gunnin, go for it.

Tango Hotel 57
New Shotgunner

Post by Tango Hotel 57 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:14 pm

I recently finished Shotgun Orientation 101 at Sig Arms Academy, and push/pull was taught as a technique. For me, it felt comfortable, and it helped stabilize my aim.
"The edge is still part of the (flying) envelope."
1979 Rem 870 Wingmaster 20"
Sig P229 .40cal
Sig P250 2Sum .40cal
CZ/FNH Pistole Modell 27 7.65mm
Ruger LC9 w/Crimson Trace Laser

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Excellent. Thanks Tango.

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:31 pm

in the game of trap you only get one shot at a time. I hold the gun very lightly, but the same everytime I'm shooting. However when I'm combat shotgunning I use very slight pressure on my forestock so as when I fire the action bars breakfree and I am already faster than a semiautomatic, which only cycles at one speed. Yes I can dump 9 rounds faster than a semi.Try many different styles and come up with the one that works best for you, what works for Costa my not work for you and me, but the theory should be givin a chance.

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks Dan. I'm definitely into giving the theory a chance. It sounds like the way to go as many of the reputable instructors are teach this technique as THE way to shoot a combat shotgun. Since I haven't had the opportunity to have someone physically show me the technique on the range, I'm just trying to break the technique down and get input from those using it, so I can practice it the correct way.

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:01 pm

yeah man, time on the range means your better at the game.