Tactical 18.5 inch with other chokes

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Mrshmitty

Tactical 18.5 inch with other chokes

Post by Mrshmitty » Sun May 01, 2016 8:52 am

Hey guys, I've been an 870 lover for the majority of my life. I have owned many 870s from old wingmasters to the newer tactical/HD models and have loved them all.

I would like to ask for some advice about a new build I am taking on. I just recently purchased an 18.5 inch tactical barrel with the removable breacher rem choke. I would like to make this a good HD gun as well as the spring turkey hunt gun. Would it be advisable to use a turkey choke in this barrel? I hope I'm not reposting something that has already been asked before, as I have used the search tool on the forum and Google itself to help answer this question. I already have a turkey gun but would like to build another one for my boy and have the info so I can pass it on if others would like to follow in my steps.

I have built a few shotguns for some local PD friends and they have never requested the use of chokes possibly due to department policies. The question did come up though so any help on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks Gents!

shotgun
Shotgunner

Re: Tactical 18.5 inch with other chokes

Post by shotgun » Thu May 12, 2016 12:30 am

I saw on u tube they tested a 14in barrel 18.5 and 28in with different choke tubes at different ranges the shot patterns were about the same barrel length doesn't matter. They were shooting buck shot

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Tactical 18.5 inch with other chokes

Post by Synchronizor » Sat May 14, 2016 1:21 am

Any barrel threaded for Rem Chokes will accept any Rem Choke tube (of the proper gauge, of course). A short barrel intended for defense/combat will lose a little velocity compared to a longer hunting barrel, but the difference will be minor, especially since many turkey guns also have pretty short barrels. Patterns should not be affected much by barrel length. If anything, shot might pattern a hair better from a short barrel since it's not hitting the choke constriction quite as hard; but shot deformation from acceleration is a much bigger cause of inconsistent patterns, and that always happens back in or near the chamber, so it's independent of barrel length. And really, ammo quality, choke selection, and the skill of the shooter will be the real factors at play.