870 Tac-Express Receiver Scratch Protection

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Matrik

870 Tac-Express Receiver Scratch Protection

Post by Matrik » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:19 pm

New to the 870 and just received an Express Tactical. Wondered if anyone willing to answer a couple of quick questions.

1) How can I determine how the receiver is finished, i.e. Parkerized, Cerakote ?

2) Is there something I can put on the receiver to prevent scratches that might occur from contact of the Magpul MS3 sling connection to the GG&G sling swivel attachment that I installed between the receiver and stock? I was thinking of using spray adhesive under a layer of black, cloth sports tape, but don't want to damage finish when I ultimately take the tape off, replace it, etc. Any other ideas?

Some of you may laugh, but I'm kinda funny about trying to bridge the gap between using my guns as tools and still trying to keep them looking great :roll:

Thanks in advance for any input.

-M

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 Tac-Express Receiver Scratch Protection

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:16 am

Matrik wrote:1) How can I determine how the receiver is finished, i.e. Parkerized, Cerakote ?
Express Tacticals only come in two finishes, a matte bluing, and Cerakote. And unless I'm forgetting something, the only 870s that are factory Cerakoted are the Magpul Editions. Everything else should have the matte bluing.
Matrik wrote:2) Is there something I can put on the receiver to prevent scratches that might occur from contact of the Magpul MS3 sling connection to the GG&G sling swivel attachment that I installed between the receiver and stock? I was thinking of using spray adhesive under a layer of black, cloth sports tape, but don't want to damage finish when I ultimately take the tape off, replace it, etc. Any other ideas?
I think sticking something on would probably look worse than a bit of honest surface wear. Could you replace the metal sling attachment hardware with plastic parts instead? Or maybe you could cover up the metal clips with something that would prevent direct metal-on-metal contact. While I was I fixing up a Jeep for my mom last summer, I used a spray-on rubberized undercoating to touch up ares of the frame and underbelly. Something like that might work.

Really though, if you use an 870, it'll show, especially if your gun has the basic Express matte bluing. I wouldn't be too concerned about it; missing finish on the mag tube, action bars, carrier, and around & inside the ejection port just indicate that an 870 is run-in and functioning the way it likes to.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:15 am

years ago I bought a Mossberg 500 off of a coworker that was was covered in camo tape. I wasn't wild about the tape and decided to remove it. It took many hours with the wife's blow dryer heating and pealing to remove the tape. The tape completely destroyed the bluing. Spots of rust and pitting and no blue left.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:05 pm

I Cerakote a lot of guns for customers. It's not as bulletproof as a lot of folks will contend. However, it IS a very nice, durable finish. IMHO, it's a lot nicer than Duracoat, KG Guncoat, and quite a few others. I've Cerakoted all of my personal HD guns.

YMMV, and all that.