HD Build Suggestions

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
hbrogers

HD Build Suggestions

Post by hbrogers » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:54 am

I'm in need of a little help with choosing parts. I'm getting ready to purchase an 870 20 gauge for HD and chose the 20 so my wife wouldn't have any problems with it. I also think it would make for a nice, light, maneuverable, fun gun to shoot. Since it lacks the options that the 12 gauge tactical has, I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction on finding what I need to complete the build. Below is the build I was thinking about. Recommendations on parts/brands or changes would be great.

+2 magazine extension (Wilson Combat?)
Picatinny rail (Nothing crazy, just a 5 in. rail. And I'm not looking for one with a shell carrier attached)
Mesa Tactical Lucy adapter
Mesa Tactical telescoping stock adapter (what kind of buffer tube will I need?)
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul Enhanced rubber butt-pad .7
Grip (MOE K, MOE SL, or Hogue?)
Hogue forend
Burris FastFire 2
Sling (Suggestions ?)
Light (Suggestions? I want something low profile)
Cerakote (Is it worth it? How well does it hold up?)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: HD Build Suggestions

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:09 am

Here are my notes:
hbrogers wrote:+2 magazine extension (Wilson Combat?)
Wilson Combat doesn't make 20ga magazine extensions.
hbrogers wrote:Mesa Tactical Lucy adapter
Mesa Tactical telescoping stock adapter (what kind of buffer tube will I need?)
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul Enhanced rubber butt-pad .7
Grip (MOE K, MOE SL, or Hogue?)
I would recommend y'all try the gun out with the factory stock before dropping all that money on fancy tacti-cool parts. If both of you can shoot the gun effectively with its original stock, I'd say keep it. A traditional semi-grip stock is simple, highly maneuverable (allowing for effective swings to an attacker's groin or head in addition to just getting through doors & around furniture), and points & shoots very well. If your 20ga has laminate furniture, the stock will also be tough and very solid (see the earlier note about groin/head strikes). If you upgrade the factory recoil pad, it'll probably be more comfortable to shoot than an AR-15 stock as well.
hbrogers wrote:Sling (Suggestions ?)
I'd skip the sling for a HD shotgun. Just something to get in the way. A sling might come in handy if you have extended property and this gun may need to accompany you on an investigative hike, but in that case, I would make it a quick-disconnect sling, and keep it off the gun in the house.
hbrogers wrote:Cerakote (Is it worth it? How well does it hold up?)
I've heard good things about Cerakote, but for a HD gun that will spend pretty much all its life indoors, it's probably not worth it. Spend the money on shells and range fees so that you & the wife can get more practice time.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I like the minimalist approach when it comes to HD shotguns. Honestly, a 20ga 870 with a short barrel is a fine HD weapon pretty much right out of the box. Break it in, maybe upgrade the recoil pad, add one or two utility accessories like a flashlight or butt-cuff for extra shells, and you'll have something just as effective as any $1500 super-tactical build. The key is to practice with it; no fancy stock or red dot will ever replace hands-on practice, and dropping a ton of money on "upgrades" before you really get to know the gun & figure out what you need from it can be a costly mistake.

hbrogers

Post by hbrogers » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Are there any magazine extensions for the 870 20 gauge?

tihshho
Shotgunner

Post by tihshho » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:02 pm

I think Synchronizer nailed it with his comments. If you're building a tacticool rig just for the sake of it or as a range plinker, then go for it! If you're going for HD and want something that's comfortable and works, well you bought an 870 and they are comfortable and work out of the box. Mods for HD should be for function and to reduce fumbling. That said get to know the shotgun out of the box and mod from there.

Logical mods to a HD shotgun out of the box IMO should be something simple as a flashlight and night sights. Specifically on the flashlight you want something you can control with one hand and not fumble to turn on and off, the surefire forend is perfect for this, but I'm not honestly sure if they offer this for the 20 gauge. A lot of people get mounts for lights, but then either have to awkwardly reach to turn it on or give up a controllable hold of the firearm to turn on an accessory. As for night sights, I'm basically getting at either tritium so you know where you can verify where you're pointing if you're in the dark. Fiber optics are nice, but remember they need ambient light to be visible.

Personally, I agree with Synch on his comments. It's not worth investing in a sling as it will most likely get in the way or get caught on something when you're still half asleep. Also, cerakote is a waste for a gun that will live most if not all of it's life secured in a closet or in a case beneath the bed. You're not fighting a battle with the firearm, so it's a wasted investment for functions sake. That said, it is a nice looking and very durable finish for wear and tear applications.

I'm actually in the process of building an 870 for HD and based a lot of things off of reading and my thoughts on the other 870 I have as a trap/skeet shotgun. I knew I didn't like the feel of the hard plastic in my hands (personal preference) and wanted something with more grip so I went Hogue. Plus this also allowed me to go with a shorter LOP which is easier to maneuver in a home. I went with an OEM upgrade police trigger set as the trigger is more firm and I wanted to make sure that I'm pulling the trigger with my control, not a startled and somewhat sleepy fumble. I won't go into too much detail as this is your thread on your build, I just wanted to use parts of my build and the logic as an example of what we are getting at :)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:02 pm

hbrogers wrote:Are there any magazine extensions for the 870 20 gauge?
Remington makes a factory-style +2. Choate and Nordic also offer 20ga magazine extensions, though I don't think the latter currently makes +2s. There are probably some others, but those are the three that immediately come to mind.

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:46 pm

hbrogers wrote:Are there any magazine extensions for the 870 20 gauge?
hbrogers,
Did you ever get the +2 Mag Tube Extension ?

If not Remington has the 20-ga version available, the Coupler (Nut) is back ordered but will be available by the end of the month (March) !

FYI…

ltr
20-ga REM870, light weight Home Defense !

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Just order the Remington 81100 and you won't need the mag extension...

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:29 pm

I don’t believe they make that Shotgun anymore !
I spent almost two months looking in local shop, on-line and asking everyone that would listen trying to find one without any luck.

I am working my way around this gun also, not a lot of Accessories available.
I have a compact 20-ga 870 pump, lite and feels good but a little short for me, the wife likes it, she is 5’3” and I am 6’2”, a little difference there.
I am looking at the Phoenix KickLite Stock 6 positions so I should find one setup that will work for me.

Remington does make the +2 Mag Tube Ext and the Coupler and Brownells did sell them too !
I like to stick to Remington for as many parts as I can, REM parts should work.

I am looking at Sights also, will see what come up for 20-ga, everything is for 12-ga because there are more of them but a well planned 20-ga is lighter, 6 lbs and easier to move around, will put just as BIG a hole in someone in an HD situation as a 12 and ammo cost less.

CDM Gear makes a Barrel/Mag Tube Support, http://www.cdmgear.com/lightmounts.html, can be used for Picatinny (sp) Rails, Sling Mount, or as a Heat Shield Mount with Rails on the outside.
So there are companies that make Accessories for a 20-ga but you have to look for them.
CDM will be making a Flashlight Mount for a 20-ga soon, so things are coming around, just not too fast !

Good Luck with your hunt,

ltr

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:50 pm

I'd also highly recommend a tritium bead sight. There are a few different ones on the market. I use the XS Big Dot on all of my HD builds for customers. They aren't 20 gauge specific. Just order the glue-on Remington version. A little JB Weld to secure it, and you're set.

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:57 pm

UltimateGuns wrote:I'd also highly recommend a tritium bead sight. There are a few different ones on the market. I use the XS Big Dot on all of my HD builds for customers. They aren't 20 gauge specific. Just order the glue-on Remington version. A little JB Weld to secure it, and you're set.
Does the "Glue-On" Sights work over a Bead with Riser setup ?

I will go to their Site and see !