Home defense: Bird shot, Buck shot or Slugs ?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Shadow
New Shotgunner

Re: Home defense: Bird shot, Buck shot or Slugs ?

Post by Shadow » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:07 pm

I use 00 buckshot in my 870 at home.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:48 am

Federal #1 Buck for me.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AkiroHikage » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:24 am

Art of the Dynamic Shotguns talks a bit about ammo selection and they run a home defense scenario too. Basic thoughts they give are that you want an ammunition that is going to stop the target, so bird shot is pretty much out. I believe they were shooting Federal Flight Control 00 buckshot, which is pretty much what I would consider for home defense, although I keep a pistol by my bedside not a shotgun.
The tactical psychologist.

20GAEXPRESS

Post by 20GAEXPRESS » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:30 am

#3 buck through a improved cylinder.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:30 pm

In my opinion 2 3/4 00 Buck is the only way to go in a shotgun for any defensive use. Many studies find 4 buck or other odd loads to be used in home defense. But in most cases they recommend this to reduce the chance of over penetration. Essentially they recommend to idiot proof the gun and defange it in case its user screws up. Birdshots not even worth considering in my opinion. it has no place in a defensive shotgun. Flight control and all those loads that keep the pattern very tight are not needed for home defense ranges.

If you are considering this defensive shotgun for greater distances remember the tighter the pattern is at close range the less its benefits as a point and shoot gun are taken advantage of. A shotgun was designed to have a large pattern. If your targets on the move at 15 yards, say diving from one cover to another, a tight patterns going to seriously hurt your chances of hitting him. And again im only considering 2 3/4 00 Buck as the load to be used here aswell.

When your patterns too big then at that distance you put a slug in the gun.

ranbo1213
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ranbo1213 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:30 am

" Home Defender" by Lightfield, rubber slug rounds which is a less lethal method to defend your family against defenders, maybe 1st couple of rounds, then bird shot, very effective at short range,, then OO Buck if all else fail..have to remember u are liable to your family/yourself if the rounds travels through walls/down the road..all six are loaded in that order.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 am

ranbo1213 wrote:" Home Defender" by Lightfield, rubber slug rounds which is a less lethal method to defend your family against defenders, maybe 1st couple of rounds, then bird shot, very effective at short range,, then OO Buck if all else fail..have to remember u are liable to your family/yourself if the rounds travels through walls/down the road..all six are loaded in that order.

To each their own but if your pulling the trigger on a shotgun with it pointed at a bad guy it better have the best possible chance at stopping the threat. What will you do if the bad guy has a gun too? Youll be giving him bruises while he pumps rounds through your chest.

It seems to be a mental trend with people that they always think they have the upper hand and the bad guy will be the poor sucker to recieve their wrath if he dosent listen to them. Its grossly underestimating your enemy and its dangerous.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Kentactic wrote:
ranbo1213 wrote:" Home Defender" by Lightfield, rubber slug rounds which is a less lethal method to defend your family against defenders, maybe 1st couple of rounds, then bird shot, very effective at short range,, then OO Buck if all else fail..have to remember u are liable to your family/yourself if the rounds travels through walls/down the road..all six are loaded in that order.

To each their own but if your pulling the trigger on a shotgun with it pointed at a bad guy it better have the best possible chance at stopping the threat. What will you do if the bad guy has a gun too? Youll be giving him bruises while he pumps rounds through your chest.

It seems to be a mental trend with people that they always think they have the upper hand and the bad guy will be the poor sucker to recieve their wrath if he dosent listen to them. Its grossly underestimating your enemy and its dangerous.
I agree... bad guys never use less-lethal ammunition. But I know that bird shot is extremely effective at a short range.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

EZTundra77
New Shotgunner

Post by EZTundra77 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:11 pm

MDW wrote:I have 00 Buck in my 870. I don't think bird shot has the stopping power required, except maybe at point blank range, or if you are trying to stop a bird. :D Slugs tend to penetrate to much.

Dwayne
Alfred Hitchcock taught me to always be on the ready for bird attacks.

EZTundra77
New Shotgunner

Post by EZTundra77 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:15 pm

I got a nice deal on Remington 3" 000 buck. 10 pellets I think. There's too many rooms in my house with my girls inside to warrant using slugs. I have slugs on hand for outdoor use, where I can see whats beyonf the target. I got a box of 600 gr. Brehneke Spec Forces. max penetration. They are supposed to go through engine blocks. I'm trying to find someone who will let me kill their engine. Suprisingly...no takers yet.