Help with a light

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
upstate1985
New Shotgunner

Help with a light

Post by upstate1985 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:46 pm

I have tried a few light mounting options with no luck at all. The last option i tried was the eltelza deal but that did not pan out. The two issues I had were...
1. the light loosened up over time with recoil even with the spacers
2. The mounting hardware (screws and nuts) also loosened up with recoil. I used locktite and this worked but to take the gun down for a good cleaning I had to redo the whole deal.

I shoot my gun a lot, ammo is cheap, I like it, and I live in NY so taking the AR out is not always an option. My frequency of use has proved tuff on the light mounts I have tried. Also I use the remington tube extension and barrel clamps seem to pintch this, however I am planning on buying the wilson combat tube extension so I would like something that will work for now but will also be GTG with a wilson.

Here is what I want...
- I would like something that is on the right side of the gun
- I have a magpul forend with a little rail on there
- am open to a barrel tube clamp with light attached

I have the TLR-1 that I am going to put on the rail on the side but the plastic wings make me nervous I am afraid I will snap those little fellas off.

Any suggestions will be welcome and if someone has some 870 bits and pieces they want to trade for my eltelza mount let me know (what did not work for me may work for you)

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Help with a light

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:02 pm

If the plastic wings you mention is the switch on the TLR-1, you may be over-thinking it IMO. Here's my TLR-1 with a Streamlight 12 gauge magazine tube clamp. I've run through some pretty good steel plate matches with this thing attached, running and gunning, and it never gave me a reason to worry. I can reach the switch with the index finger of my left hand without moving it from the forend. It's a great setup - the only downside is taking the gun apart for cleaning is a little more time-consuming, oh well.

That last picture was reversed in a mirror.
Fear not! The TLR-1 is a great light. Mount 'er up haha
Be safe, have fun
Steve
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

upstate1985
New Shotgunner

Post by upstate1985 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks.. awesome I will give mine a try. I see you have a tube clamp on there. What is the make and do you like it, and if i may put the light on a rail on the side of a magpul forend do you or anyone else have experience with this setup?

here is a link to some photos

[img][IMG]http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah8 ... 51ceab.jpg[/img][/img]

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:37 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

Here's Streamlight's tube clamp. There's another version with two screws, rather than three (might be a newer version, not sure). I don't have experience with the rail on a Magpul setup - but I've definitely seen it done many times. Actually - going that route would eliminate the (lazy) disassembly problem.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Jealous of your Scattergun sights.
What kind of safety is that? I think I've seen it in diagrams before, but I'm unfamiliar with how it works. I've got the S&J Hardware jumbo head on mine.

upstate1985
New Shotgunner

Post by upstate1985 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:00 pm

The sights have been on there since 2005 and are going strong not one issue. The safety is a wilson combat I do believe.

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:11 pm

I've used Elzetta lights and mounts for over 4 years now without issue, and I shoot my 870s a LOT! I use blue Loctite. For cleaning, I use a bore snake every 500 rounds or so, which doesn't require removing the barrel, though I certainly understand removing it every 1500 or 2000 rounds, so I can polish the chamber with a little steel wool to aid in feeding and extraction. Perhaps the CDM mount may work better for you?