Which Tactical Flashlight

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Which Tactical Flashlight

Post by UltimateGuns » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:31 pm

I've had several that failed, including a Streamlight Polytac and a Surefire forend. I'm ALL about offering the best products I can for my customers. If you have some recommendations where I can save them some cash, I'd REALLY appreciate it.
Thanks,
Brad

hector.jacob wrote:
UltimateGuns wrote:The problem with those lose super cheap lights is that they typically don't stand up well to recoil. What good is a light if it fails when you need it most?

lets not derailed the OP post, i have 4 years with a convoy light, and a Xindtd type C8, 0 problems, mud, water, etc, no problem, did you have one and it failed?
check out budgetlightforums, you'll learn more about lights, you will see who the manufacturers are and from what factory these lights come from...
its not that hard to understand, its like car manufacturers, toyota and the luxury line is lexus...its the same factories for fenix, nitecore, Olight, thrunite) , these chinese/taiwan factories just sell the same models under other brands, crelant, klarus, etc... but its better to speak with experience, than to defend your seller position... if you take time and do your research, you will find a nice light, waterproof, shock proff, without braking your pocket...
either way I,m going to rephrase it....if your on a budget, check out the budget flash light lines at budgetlightforum , not a bad option, all that has been said in the post all are nice options, just giving the budget one...

hector.jacob
Shotgunner

Post by hector.jacob » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:35 pm

UltimateGuns wrote:I've had several that failed, including a Streamlight Polytac and a Surefire forend. I'm ALL about offering the best products I can for my customers. If you have some recommendations where I can save them some cash, I'd REALLY appreciate it.
Thanks,
Brad
Sure...Pm'd

Photogg4eva
Shotgunner

Post by Photogg4eva » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:42 pm

At a recent gun show, I picked up a UltraFire Mini Cree tactical flashlight. Its weight is only 3 ounces, measures 1" x 3.75". It comes with a single Lithium-Ion battery and charger. It has three lighting functions; bright, dimmer and light strobe, with a variable slide zoom. It's easy to turn on with the rear pushbutton bubble. The bright light and strobe light functions are better than I expected and they will disorient you. On my HD barrel it doesn't alter the balance all that much so I'm happy with it. The Lithium-Ion battery actually lasts a long time before having to recharge. I know the flashlight isn't one of the big expensive flashlights, but considering the $12 I paid for it, it's a winner for me.
Stay safe out there
— Photogg4eva

Alpha Wolf
Shotgunner

Post by Alpha Wolf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm

I chose an Enforce light. It is an early multiversion model of around 250 lumins.

Works fine so far for inside my house.

870 Express Tactical Magpul Black
M1 Garand
M1A Socom 16
Yugo SKS
Swiss K31
GP100
S&W Model 60
S&W Model 18
XD 40 4"
Kimber 1911 Team Match II
Assorted 22 cal rifles.

filthy phil
Shotgunner

Post by filthy phil » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 pm

I have streamlight pro tac1k lumen I bought for one of my ar15's. Only used it for work off a gun but it really lights up the night and was a great deal price wise. It takes regular batteries or a rechargeable batt.
Might wanna get the pressure switch and tail can combo. All I got was the flashlight and the accessories are still hard to come by
Friends dont let friends buy mossberg

valk98
New Shotgunner

Post by valk98 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 am

Fenix tk-16 their is not a better light made. Strobe feature is awesome & blinding to anyone who dares to look at it.

brodybro

Post by brodybro » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:50 am

Automag wrote:
Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:24 pm
Everybody's needs or personal preferences are definitely a little different. With that said and going by how you said you want your HD Shotgun to be most useful; id go with one that has a momentary and full on capability. Strobe function, and different light settings would just make things slower if you need to grab your gun and "turn the damn thing on"..lol. Just my opinion for Tactical Flashlight, good luck.
Agree with your point of view. Everyone is in a different environment and needs. But I use Streamlight on my weapon, 800 lumens, great. You can see it on Google.

Malicious Compliance
New Shotgunner

Post by Malicious Compliance » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:48 am

It all boils down to how you intend on using the torch. If it is mounted to a range toy, have at it with any light you can get your hands on. Cheap is not an issue. However, if the weapon is intended to be used to protect yourself or ones you love, of what value is a torch that doesn't work at the instant you need it? At that very moment of need, I would be willing to wager that the low price you paid and money saved on the torch that is not working would be the last thought on your mind and money would be no object during this crunch time. I have owned many, many flashlights, some great, others, not so much. But if my life, or the lives of those I love are in the balance, I will not cut corners on any of my defensive tools. In my limited experience, Surefire, Streamlight, Elzetta and Malkoff are my choices for lights used when the stakes are the highest. I am not saying these brands are without fault, anything made by man is going to fail. However, with these brands, the odds of failure are greatly reduced to levels that I am comfortable with when the lives of those important to me are in the balance.

With the cheap lights, I find failures occur predominantly in one of two areas - the switch mechanism and the light itself. With the advances in light technology today, I no longer consider an incandescent bulb in my flashlight, LED is the way to go. Is the LED fully potted? If not, it will be prone to failure induced by the shock of shotgun recoil. For a defensive torch, a single level of light output is my preference. No need for strobe or multi-levels of output. 300 true lumens of output, or more, works well. Momentary and constant on options in the switch are also musts for me.

As with all choices we make in life, we need to find a balance that we are comfortable with. I would rather spend the money up front, knowing I may never need to use the light, or whatever other lifesaving piece of gear we are talking about, to achieve the confidence the gear will perform as needed when needed. I own a wide variety of red dots, for example. Several of my range toys have FastFires (an other similar) mounted to them. They work but their functioning is not critical. However, on my defensive tools, Trijicon, Docter, Leupold and Aimpoint (no Acro, thank you!) are my choices. My point is this, the mission of the gear needs to be considered. If lives of ones you love are in the balance, why cut corners?

As a side note, I really don't understand the recommendation in this thread, while posted a few years back, that the magazine springs should be changed every month. A still spring does not wear, it is the exercising, or cycling, of the spring that causes it to wear. A magazine spring, stored in a compressed state with a tube full of shells does not wear appreciably. That spring could sit compressed the rest of our lifetimes and be just fine, provided it was manufactured properly. This is probably the only factual statement I have made in this post, the rest is merely my humble opinion, to be taken for what it is and worth what you paid.