Which Tactical Flashlight

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
smcrea
New Shotgunner

Which Tactical Flashlight

Post by smcrea » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum.

I have finally installed a shot lock in my bedroom closet and intend to keep my loaded R-870 in the shot lock with a pipe full of #1 buck.

I don't want or need to 'cool customize' this 870. It is in a placed that is not obvious and hopefully and prayfully nobody will ever see it. I have lots of other gun's that are 'cool' LOL :D

So this is a very basic 870 express with no bells or whistles..

However one accessory I can imagine that I would need in the middle of a dark windy night with a drug crazed maniac hammering on my bedroom door is a tactical flashlight.

Any recommendations?

- One thing that springs to mind is how easy is it to switch on when you are shacking like a leaf and in the dark?

- How bright is it?

Also…. When keeping a ready gun is it normal to keep one in the chamber or just have the tube full and safety on?

Personally, even with my shot lock I would feel more comfortable with just the tube full and safety on :shock: any opinions?

Thanks!

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Re: Which Tactical Flashlight

Post by mercman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Patrol ready-mag tube loaded, chamber empty, safety on.

White lights-there are many available as there are mounts. Having one directly attached to the forearm is ergonomically good. No cords to catch, momentary contact for light only when needed. I have Streamlight TLR1's. Inexpensive, compact and easy to use.
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

smcrea
New Shotgunner

Post by smcrea » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks Mercman

I just looked them up on Amazon… I wouldn't stretch as to say they were inexpensive! :D .. but you get what you pay for!

So which do you recommend on Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... light+TLR1

I would imagine that a strobe is useful…

It's difficult because for me this is a rig that like I said I pray I will never use. I will obviously practice with it.. from time to time, but I shoot my other weapons more often.

This is the weapon that could potentially save my families life. That single time that I really need it then it has to to be simple, easy to use and work first time.

BTW we agree on tube loaded, chamber empty and safety on :-)

Thanks for the advise!

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:50 am

If you are "shacking like a leaf and in the dark" with your shotgun locked inside a ShotLock and an empty chamber, I'd imagine your biggest problem would be getting out of the ShotLock, getting a round chambered, and deploying the shotgun before the bad guy cuts your throat. Worrying about a light would be pretty far down the list. If you're going to store it in "cruiser safe" condition (bolt forward on an empty chamber, safety on, tube loaded), you should probably buy several magazine springs and rotate them monthly. Same goes for flashlight batteries. Easy solution for the light would be a Surefire G2X Single Output LED in an Elzetta or CDM mount. Be sure to get the single-output light. The dual-output model creates unnecessary complexity.

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:56 am

Speaking of changing magazine springs monthly, here is an incredibly helpful idea from forum member Synchronizer. Replacing the spring retainer with a follower will save you time and effort, especially if you have an older-style 870.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:16 pm

smcrea wrote:Also…. When keeping a ready gun is it normal to keep one in the chamber or just have the tube full and safety on?

Personally, even with my shot lock I would feel more comfortable with just the tube full and safety on :shock: any opinions?
Folks have different preferences on how to keep their HD shotguns, and your specific home environment might influence your choice, but the "cruiser-ready" - full magazine & empty chamber - seems to be the choice of most, and it's what I generally recommend. As with nearly all shotguns, it is possible for the 870 to have an inertial firing pin strike if it's dropped or struck violently in just the right way. But probably a bigger danger with a loaded chamber is a ND due to operator error; fumbling with the gun, in the dark, half-asleep and half-panicking, I prefer not to have a round in the chamber until I have the thing in my hands with a proper grip.

If you have time to pick up your gun, you have time to rack the slide; it really won't slow you down if you're familiar with your gun. You can also drop the hammer on the empty chamber so that if you need to deploy it later, you can pump the thing without having to hit the slide release.

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:11 pm

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69217 ... light+TLR1

And one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69210 ... light+TLR1

Both work well and with the strobe you find out if your target is epileptic, too! Also don't forget that most rooms have light switches. It always amuses me to see new guys in mock scenes creep around with their flashlights highlighting their positions when room light can be turned on. The target can still be blinded with a weapon mounted light.

I do use the pull the trigger on an empty chamber to be able to rack the slide and chamber a round but don't advertise that procedure as there are many different skill levels out there and it just takes one mistake to change someone's life forever. Know your gun, practice with your gun and build those skillsets. Do a press check if there is ANY doubt.

Incidentally, I've kept my duty SG in the patrol ready state for over 25 years and have never had a mag spring weaken. Common knowledge is that it's the loading and unloading of spring pressure that causes wear, not having the spring compressed or not compressed. Having an extra spring is good from a spare parts perspective but replacing or rotating springs is not necessary.
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

SignessSG
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by SignessSG » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 pm

I have this one (a Streamlight TLR-1 HL), and quite pleased with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69260 ... t+tlr+1+hl
Remington 870 Police Magnum 12 Gauge
Sig Sauer P220 Carry SAS SAO .45 ACP
Sig Sauer P938 9mm
Belgian Browning HiPower 9mm
Ruger GP100 Stainless .357 Magnum 4"
Smith & Wesson Model 36 .38 Special

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:43 pm

In the force-on-force training I have done (admittedly no real gunfights) whenever someone turns on a light they draw fire. I've become very chary of using a light. If you must turn on the light for some reason (uncertain target, for example), best practice is to give 'em a quick flash of the light and then move immediately to another position before firing. "Get off the X."

jough
Shotgunner

Post by jough » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:28 am

I am ordering a Primary Arms Compact Weapon Light when they arrive later this month. The current model is sold out. The new model is getting an LED upgrade. They don't have the strobe feature, but they are built tough and are only $60.