side saddle

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
shueter870

side saddle

Post by shueter870 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:32 pm

New to the forum and I have a quick question. I have a 870 Tactical and a GG&G single point sling mount between my stock and receiver. Today I purchased a Mesa Tactical 8 round side saddle and went to put it on when I realized the sling attachment uses about a 1/4" of space that the back end of the saddle needs to be mounted onto the gun. I cant be the first person to have run into this problem, so I'm looking to see what others have done to remedy this. Can I dremel the side a little bit or should I just return it and get the 6 shell holder?

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Re: side saddle

Post by Zebra62 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:50 am

I have the six round with rail on my Tactical and the standard six round on the Wife's 20 gauge. There is plenty of clearance on both should we decide in the future to install a sling mounts. Homemade strap works good enough for now. Haven't heard of anyone with your problem yet, but I'm sure someone must have already been there before.

Post a pic or two if you can so we can see what you are seeing.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:01 am

Like Zebra62 said, pictures of the problem would be a big help.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:38 pm

I know of the problem you speak. Your options are new side saddle, new sling adapter or jerry rigging.

More expensive route, maybe ask to upgrade?:
http://mesatactical.com/products/adapte ... ell-12-ga/

Another Idea that MIGHT work but id call Mesa to confirm but for the record i dont like the idea if the sling yanking on the action screws:
http://mesatactical.com/products/sling- ... remington/

Your third option I least like is to attach your sling to the most rearward hole in the side saddle. Making it a 7 round saddle.

Last but not least my highest recommendation:
http://mesatactical.com/products/suresh ... ell-12-ga/
Last edited by Kentactic on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Synchronizor wrote:Like Zebra62 said, pictures of the problem would be a big help.

His side saddle is bigger than the reciever so its not possible to install a sling adapter directly behind the reciever.

tekrsq
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by tekrsq » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:16 pm

I have the Pro-Mag 7 rd shell holder. I don't have the sling mount behind the receiver, but there is plenty of room to put one there if I choose to.

shueter870

Post by shueter870 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:23 am

I ended up just getting a 6 round saddle. Thanks for the replies guys!

Pigiron
Shotgunner

Post by Pigiron » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:22 am

I just took my side saddle off and went to a butt cuff.