Short Bus's H&R Pardner (870 clone) build

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Short Bus's H&R Pardner (870 clone) build

Post by Zebra62 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Interesting choice on The Judge for Christmas, ShortBus. I have been looking at that one myself, drooliing over it every time.

FPSRussia did a review on it a while back. I'll have to find the link and post it. With the .410, you will need to be EXTREMELY close to your target. Dimitri was getting a very wide pattern at close range, 12 inch spread at about ten feet if I remember correctly.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Short Bus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Short Bus » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:19 pm

I want it more fun a range toy than anything, but I might carry it some.

Here's the FPS video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3YYDgDUXs

I like this one a little better (hickok45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0

I picked up a little ammo for it, I got a box of (not so cheap) target loads, a box of (also not cheap) game loads, a box of Remington 000 Buck and a box of Hornady Critical Defense 410 Triple Defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtdYVk4ugHc

Reaper
Active Shotgunner

Post by Reaper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:40 am

I looked at hickok45's video on 45/.410 pistols on Youtube several months ago. I would feel more than safe with one of these pistols with the bigger buckshot/specialty loads. Awesome at close range!

Check out tnoutdoors9 vids on Youtube. He has vids of different shotgun and pistol loads in ballistic gel. I especially like his vid on the 12 guage Dragons Breath loads. Buckshot and Fire! :o

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:32 am

I like Hornady rounds anyway. Its what I shoot in my .303 - 174 grain FMJ Boattails. Closest to the original British Military I can find and Hyper accurate.

Yeppers, I like The Judge and may just have to pick one up.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:43 am

The .45/.410 combo revolvers are a lot of fun. A friend of mine has a S&W Governor, and she and I have burned through a lot of time and ammo with it at at the shooting range. If they ever come out with that 28ga version, I may have to pick one up at some point. They also make effective - though rather large - pest guns if you live in an area where aggressive snakes are an issue.

However, they're a poor choice if you're looking for something to use primarily for social work. It's not that they won't get the job done, it's simply that the most effective way to load them for defensive purposes (at any range) is with pistol cartridges. A proper .45-caliber hollowpoint will be more effective than any .410 load out of a super-short, rifled, oversized .45-caliber barrel. And if you're just going to be loading the thing with .45 Colt or .45 ACP anyway, why lug around a massive 2.5" or 3" cylinder? A normal .45-caliber revolver will be smaller and lighter for the same barrel length, or be lighter and have a longer barrel for the same overall length.

Short Bus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Short Bus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:28 am

Synchronizor wrote:The .45/.410 combo revolvers are a lot of fun. A friend of mine has a S&W Governor, and she and I have burned through a lot of time and ammo with it at at the shooting range. If they ever come out with that 28ga version, I may have to pick one up at some point. They also make effective - though rather large - pest guns if you live in an area where aggressive snakes are an issue.

However, they're a poor choice if you're looking for something to use primarily for social work. It's not that they won't get the job done, it's simply that the most effective way to load them for defensive purposes (at any range) is with pistol cartridges. A proper .45-caliber hollowpoint will be more effective than any .410 load out of a super-short, rifled, oversized .45-caliber barrel. And if you're just going to be loading the thing with .45 Colt or .45 ACP anyway, why lug around a massive 2.5" or 3" cylinder? A normal .45-caliber revolver will be smaller and lighter for the same barrel length, or be lighter and have a longer barrel for the same overall length.
I agree. Loaded with the Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion it would be a good defense gun, but I haven't been able to find any and they are about $3 a round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLonprIWm4