Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Advice?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
User avatar
Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by Zebra62 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Great build. Doc. Nice and simple.

Got a couple of curiousity questions for you...

In your pic with the SuperNova, you have it resting on a NobleSportItalia box. I was wondering how you liked the rounds. I bought some a while back and didn't have any problems so I bought more. Other folks have not had such good luck.

Also, you said you placed your order then had to wait a couple of weeks. Was that due to you actually having to order the Police model as it was not in stock, or because of your states waiting period?

Just curious.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Automag
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by Automag » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:54 am

I love it! It's simple, reliable, practical and definitely a "fightin gun"! I added a GG+G follower to my 870, and it made more of difference than i ever expexcted-compared to the factory plastic follower. That would complete your build in my opinion. Nice setup, and great choice on the 870P!
EDIT: i did'nt notice you already replaced the follower-Very nice setup!
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:47 am

Zebra62 wrote:Great build. Doc. Nice and simple.

Got a couple of curiousity questions for you...

In your pic with the SuperNova, you have it resting on a NobleSportItalia box. I was wondering how you liked the rounds. I bought some a while back and didn't have any problems so I bought more. Other folks have not had such good luck.

Also, you said you placed your order then had to wait a couple of weeks. Was that due to you actually having to order the Police model as it was not in stock, or because of your states waiting period?

Just curious.
Hi.

I only ever shot that one box and they worked. That's the limit of my experience with that stuff haha. Actually I still think I have 4 or 5 of the shells left unfired. Sorry I can't report back on it!

I just had to wait to get it to me. It was in stock, but I had to make payment, wait for the seller to ship it, then wait for it to arrive at my LGS.

We dot have a waiting period for rifles. Only wait is 3 days on your first handgun purchase. If you can show a current registration card handguns are cash and carry as they should be. Rifles are same day no matter what. Private sales involve no background check and no bill of sale is required. Unfortunately in Clark county we are required to register handguns, but not long guns.

Automag wrote:I love it! It's simple, reliable, practical and definitely a "fightin gun"! I added a GG+G follower to my 870, and it made more of difference than i ever expexcted-compared to the factory plastic follower. That would complete your build in my opinion. Nice setup, and great choice on the 870P!
EDIT: i did'nt notice you already replaced the follower-Very nice setup!
Well I'm not sure how reliable it is. The follower kept binding up no matter how light or tight I screwed in the tube extension (as per instructions), so I chamelfered the edge a bit more and sanded it smooth to help it move better. Seems fine as I have not been able to get it to hang up since.

However the action was binding when firing it for the first time. May be a result of the side saddle but I will need further testing to find out. I made a thread about it. The gun is currently sitting unloaded in the back of the safe until further testing can be done

User avatar
Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by Zebra62 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:06 am

Dr. Marneaus wrote: However the action was binding when firing it for the first time. May be a result of the side saddle but I will need further testing to find out. I made a thread about it. The gun is currently sitting unloaded in the back of the safe until further testing can be done
Don't know that the side sadlle will cause the action to bind. Do you recall it binding before installing the side saddle or just after? Might try removing it and checking the action again. Curious indeed.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Automag
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by Automag » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:09 am

I'm sorry to hear about the hangup problem when racking shells. Thats actually very rare with an 870, i've hardly ever seen anyone have that problem unless there was an obvious and identifiable issue. So are you are using the factory spring and a staimless follower. This issue lies somewhere here. Did you put a new- longer spring in when adding the mag ext.? Heres some of my thoughts and ideas why this is now happening:
-Is the spring seated properly into the new follower, if so could the spring be a touch too long now. I've shortened my spring when installing new followers and or springs. 22-23" is the ideal length for the spring in my experience, how long is your spring.
-Did the 870P come with the 2 "dimples" that need to be removed to use a mag extension. I dont think the 870P has those, but if it did have those, are they removed and cleared properly?
-I'm assuming your gun is rather new, did you degrease and clean the barrel and reciever thouroughly before putting it to use? If not, break your gun down and clean it well.
-Do you feel any type of "hangups" at the mag and mag extension coupling point? if so you may want to remove the barrel, double check the seating of the new follower, check the spring length, make sure the mag extension is mating up properly.

These are the things i would be looking at to start with. A new Rem 870 is alway a little stiff out of the box, and takes some time and rounds through it to let it "break in". An 870P even more so, b/c it comes with some stiffer and stronger hardware. I doubt it's anything serious, Rem 870's are the most reliable pump shotgun made (trust me), and generally don't have this type of problem. Maybe it's something as simple as trying a different follower. I mentioned before that IMO, the GG+G stainless/aluminum follower is one the best choices out there, and i've had no issues with mine, quite the opposite-it feeds like a dream. These are the main reasons for hangups or cycling problems with the 870 that i know of, especially with a new shotgun. Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out. I'm sure you'll get some other feedback too. Ask Synchro, he knows the 870 better than most people on this forum, and almost always has the answer!
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 am

Zebra62 wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote: However the action was binding when firing it for the first time. May be a result of the side saddle but I will need further testing to find out. I made a thread about it. The gun is currently sitting unloaded in the back of the safe until further testing can be done
Don't know that the side sadlle will cause the action to bind. Do you recall it binding before installing the side saddle or just after? Might try removing it and checking the action again. Curious indeed.

Everything cycled fine by hand before firing. Everything still cycles fine by hand without firing. The issue only became apparent after firing a shell and trying to cycle.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it again yet but may have time after work tomorrow.



Automag wrote:I'm sorry to hear about the hangup problem when racking shells. Thats actually very rare with an 870, i've hardly ever seen anyone have that problem unless there was an obvious and identifiable issue. So are you are using the factory spring and a staimless follower. This issue lies somewhere here. Did you put a new- longer spring in when adding the mag ext.? Heres some of my thoughts and ideas why this is now happening:
-Is the spring seated properly into the new follower, if so could the spring be a touch too long now. I've shortened my spring when installing new followers and or springs. 22-23" is the ideal length for the spring in my experience, how long is your spring.
-Did the 870P come with the 2 "dimples" that need to be removed to use a mag extension. I dont think the 870P has those, but if it did have those, are they removed and cleared properly?
-I'm assuming your gun is rather new, did you degrease and clean the barrel and reciever thouroughly before putting it to use? If not, break your gun down and clean it well.
-Do you feel any type of "hangups" at the mag and mag extension coupling point? if so you may want to remove the barrel, double check the seating of the new follower, check the spring length, make sure the mag extension is mating up properly.

These are the things i would be looking at to start with. A new Rem 870 is alway a little stiff out of the box, and takes some time and rounds through it to let it "break in". An 870P even more so, b/c it comes with some stiffer and stronger hardware. I doubt it's anything serious, Rem 870's are the most reliable pump shotgun made (trust me), and generally don't have this type of problem. Maybe it's something as simple as trying a different follower. I mentioned before that IMO, the GG+G stainless/aluminum follower is one the best choices out there, and i've had no issues with mine, quite the opposite-it feeds like a dream. These are the main reasons for hangups or cycling problems with the 870 that i know of, especially with a new shotgun. Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out. I'm sure you'll get some other feedback too. Ask Synchro, he knows the 870 better than most people on this forum, and almost always has the answer!
The follower hanging up when loading shells is a separate and minor issue compared to the action binding.

I was saying I could ony stuff 4 shells Into the tube and the follower would get stuck it seems at the point the extension meets the tube. That has nothing to do with the action binding. It feeds the shells onto the tray just fine. I chamfered and deburred the follower and readjusted the tightness of the extension and it seems fine now, loading and cycling by hand.

It's a factory extension with correct spring.

The big issue is that after I fire the action binds up, and will not let me extract the shell without trying to move the fore end back and forth several times, then it lets go and extracts.

Yes I disassembled and cleaned thoroughly though that should not be necessary to make a weapon function.

I will try to shoot it again with various brands of ammo and report back

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:06 am

The more I think about it it may be ammo related. I had a spare empty hull of this Winchester stuff and set it into my single shot truck gun to check something and it got jammed up in the chamber and wouldn't eject. Had to tap it out with a rod. I set that one into the 870 and noticed that it required MINOR pressure to seat into the chamber, and then gave me the same symptoms I was experiencing this weekend. An unfired she'll drops right into the chamber and requires nothing other than gravity to seat fully.

So, interesting. This empty hull is the same ammo, but fired from a different gun, shows me a similar symptom if I put it in the other gun and gives me the same exact issue in my 870. When I fired 5 rounds of buck through the 870 they all cycled without a hitch.

I will try other ammo and report back

User avatar
Automag
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by Automag » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Yeah-it could easily be an ammo issue. It sounds like you definitely arn't a novice when it comes to firearms-no condascension meant, only trying to help. So your mag tube/magextensuin are functioning fine then, i was'nt clear on that, but that's good. Yeah definitely, if your problem is strictly a reciever/loading and extracting problem, it very may well be the ammo. I seriously doubt it would be a sdesaddle caused problem (an overtightened sidesaddle). Yes i guess it's possible, but i've never heard of that being the culprit when having failure to cycle, seat ammo, extract. I've only ever heard of the sidesaddle being an issue when it involves the forend hitting the sidesaddle-stopping it just short of cylcing.

You did everything right, as far as i can tell; that leaves (most likely) an ammo issue, or a very, very rare case of a problem that would have had to come from the Remington factory itself. Since i doubt that is case so strongly, yeah-for sure, get new, different ammo. I've never really liked Winchester shotgun ammo myself, i've heard of problems with their ammo on different issues. I prefer Federal, or Rmeington Brand ammo myself. I hope ya figure it out; the 870P is a fantastic shotgun and built for heavy and hard use. Good luck! You'll figure it out.
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

User avatar
pump-it-up
New Shotgunner
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Canada

Re: Greetings! Here's my 870P Build, thoughts? opinions? Adv

Post by pump-it-up » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:04 pm

That's a great build you have there, I wouldn't bother replacing the follower, per se, but simply spray it orange. I personally like the durability and reliability offered by the steel, so I see where you're coming from.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest