My tactical/hunting 870

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
2scars
New Shotgunner

My tactical/hunting 870

Post by 2scars » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

How mine started, it's the black one. Fresh from prison duty, it's late 70's Wingmaster. The ugly black one.

I added a lefty safety and Williams Fire-sights to the shortened (21.5-ish") barrel. Also added the Walnut stock that uses the shorter stock bolt (not police) and the Police foregrip. Was going to have it refinished, but I think it is just fine this way.

It will really throw the 7/8" high velocity 2 3/4 Sluggers real accurately. Only thing I would add would be a +1 or +2 mag extension, but I have a hard time with believing that I will get into a fire fght with anything that I can't win with 5 00 or some slugs.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: My tactical/hunting 870

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:28 am

2scars wrote:I added a lefty safety and Williams Fire-sights to the shortened (21.5-ish") barrel. Also added the Walnut stock that uses the shorter stock bolt (not police) and the Police foregrip. Was going to have it refinished, but I think it is just fine this way.
Nice setup, I for one really appreciate the look of a well-used 870. All the "war wounds" give it a lot of character, but since it's an 870, odds are it runs better than it did the day it left the factory.

I can't tell, is your 870 a Magnum, or is it a 2.75"-only gun? Also, what specific left-handed safety button did you use?
2scars wrote:Only thing I would add would be a +1 or +2 mag extension, but I have a hard time with believing that I will get into a fire fght with anything that I can't win with 5 00 or some slugs.
An extension is nice to have on a HD gun. Odds are, you'll never need that many rounds (actually, odds are you'll never need the gun), but better to have the shells and not need them than need them and not have them. A lot of the kind of home invasions you'll want to be armed for are carried out by groups these days, and anyone who thinks they'll be scoring perfect hits in the stress of a life-or-death shooting is deluding themselves. If nothing else, the added mass of the extension and extra shells will reduce recoil.

If you want to go with a full magazine extension, I'd recommend one of the Remington factory extensions in a heartbeat. Nothing better on the market for a short-barreled combat/defensive build in my opinion. If your barrel's longer than 20", you'll have room under there for a full +3 extension.

However, if you want to save some money and avoid complexity, a single-piece +1 extension is a great way to go as well. I really like the look of one of these on an old-school riot gun, and they're so simple and easy. There's no need to mess with clamps, coupling nuts, or proper tube mating, these are essentially a long magazine cap, and they go on and come off exactly the same way.
p1 ext S.JPG
p1 ext S.JPG (43.18 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
Another thing you could consider is upgrading the action with updated flex-tab components. Remington redesigned the breech bolt, slide assembly, and shell carrier in the 1980s to address a specific type of jam that could bind up the action on older 870s. They also offered these parts on their own as drop-in replacement kits, but best as I can tell from your pictures, your gun was never updated. I wouldn't consider it a real urgent thing; the malfunctions were pretty rare as long as the gun was in proper working order and the magazine was loaded correctly, but when it did happen, it could be a real pain to unjam. If you can't get the updated parts from (what I presume to be) the "doner gun" in the first picture, you can usually find them used online for less than brand-new parts (often a lot less if you wait for good deals).

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:13 am

2scars, I really like your shotguns, especially look of the shortened barrel with Williams Fire-sights.

What lefty safety do you use? I receive a lot of questions about safety for lefties.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Good looking shotguns!

2scars
New Shotgunner

Post by 2scars » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 pm

It is the Fortmann's Left handed safety conversion from Midway. It shows currently outta stock, but they had it at the end of May this year, that was when I built the 870.

It is a 2 3/4 gun. My brother said it was a "bird gun". I said well let me shoot you with it:) HAHA! I don't think I will have any trouble with this one during close deer season. The action on it is like butter, being an old Wingmaster that is well used, any burrs that Remington might have missed are long since gone.

My Father-in-Law turned up an aftermarket removable choke barrel for me to use in addition to the cut down Cyl. bore that is currently fitted, but I like the short barrel, I don't anticipate hunting grouse or anything like that.

Any info on the two different length stock bolts? The longer one was for Police stocks correct? I want a real Police walnut stock, but for now this will do.

I will probably leave the mag length alone, I want the Uncle Mike's sling swivel set and like the replacement cap that is the forward swivel mount. Unless you can give me a good reason not to....:)

Brandon

2scars
New Shotgunner

Post by 2scars » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:52 pm

What do the flex thingy's look like Sync?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:26 am

2scars wrote:It is the Fortmann's Left handed safety conversion from Midway. It shows currently outta stock, but they had it at the end of May this year, that was when I built the 870.
We'd be interested to hear how that safety works out for you. They don't get a lot of press, but since 870s are considered by many to be a poor choice for lefties, it'd be nice to know if the drop-in left-handed safety buttons are a viable alternative to replacing the entire trigger plate assembly.
2scars wrote:It is a 2 3/4 gun. My brother said it was a "bird gun". I said well let me shoot you with it:) HAHA! I don't think I will have any trouble with this one during close deer season.
Literally the only difference between 2.75" and 3" 12ga shells is that extra 1/4" of length. They can both be loaded to the same maximum pressure, the 3" just has a little more room inside for large payloads. Slugs don't really need that extra room, and for HD, you'd want to stick with 2.75" shells anyway. You can convert the gun to handle 3" shells if you want, but it sounds like 2.75" shells will cover your needs just fine.
2scars wrote:Any info on the two different length stock bolts? The longer one was for Police stocks correct? I want a real Police walnut stock, but for now this will do.
My hardwood Police stock actually uses a relatively short (about 8.25") stock bolt, at least compared to the bolt for my synthetic stock. How long is the bolt on yours?
2scars wrote:I will probably leave the mag length alone, I want the Uncle Mike's sling swivel set and like the replacement cap that is the forward swivel mount. Unless you can give me a good reason not to....
Nothing really wrong with a 4-round mag tube. If you change your mind, you can always add an extension later. But if the sling stud is the only thing keeping you away, there are +1 extensions with those.
2scars wrote:What do the flex thingy's look like Sync?
See this video for the basics on the flex-tab update.

2scars
New Shotgunner

Post by 2scars » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:01 pm

I think the longer bolt is what I use, and a shorter one was on the Synthetic stock. I will measure tonight, maybe.

How can I modify the gun to shoot 3" safely? The receivers are no different between the two? I have a barrel that will work for 3".

The Fortmann's is easy to install and it acts just the same as the original safety, just in reverse so its easy to throw off for a lefty. I think with that and the slide release being on the left side of the trigger guard it is a great setup for lefties. Especially if they are considering a pistol grip stock, significantly more training would be required to get used to the top safety and a pistol grip on a Mossy

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 pm

2scars wrote:How can I modify the gun to shoot 3" safely? The receivers are no different between the two? I have a barrel that will work for 3".
The only difference between magnum and non-magnum receivers is the ejector and ejector spring. A non-magnum receiver will feed, chamber, and fire 3" shells just fine (if the barrel has a 3" or longer chamber), but the longer shells won't eject reliably unless the ejector and ejector spring are replaced with magnum parts. These parts aren't expensive or difficult to come by, but since they're riveted into the receiver, removing the old parts and installing new ones takes a certain amount of know-how. And if the old rivets can't be re-used, installing new ones usually involves grinding them flush with the receiver, and at least a partial refinishing. So for a lot of owners, converting a non-magnum receiver to handle 3" shells is something best left to a gunsmith or other skilled individual.

Again, it may not be worth the hassle for you. 2.75" shells are the best choice for most defensive purposes, and they'll get the job done for most types of hunting as well. You mentioned slug hunting earlier, was there something else you wanted to use this gun for where 3" shells would be desirable?

2scars
New Shotgunner

Post by 2scars » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Not personally, but my Father-in-Law had mentioned Goose hunting soon and was interested to find out if it was a easy upgrade or what. He has a Benelli that I can use for Geese. Not a problem.

Or I just get magnum 2 3/4 shells with less pellets essentially, correct?