870 BULLPUP conversion?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
ecv
New Shotgunner

870 BULLPUP conversion?

Post by ecv » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Has anyone done a Bullpup conversion on their 870? If so what do you think about it.

Bullpup Link: http://www.bullpupunlimited.com/

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Re: 870 BULLPUP conversion?

Post by Zebra62 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Jason7001 did a conversion. Check out this thread "870 Bullpup build" under the General Discussion tab ( I don't know how to create a direct link. Sorry ). The thread is almost all the way to the bottom of the first page. Very cool setup.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:37 am

Thanks, Synchro. ;)
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Cadillac
New Shotgunner

Post by Cadillac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:03 pm

I like the look of it, but to me it seems like it would kick quite hard.

chknkatsu

Post by chknkatsu » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:17 pm

the look is cool but i feel like this is equivalent to a body kit on a honda civic.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:42 am

Cadillac wrote:I like the look of it, but to me it seems like it would kick quite hard.
What makes you think that? Putting aside subjective things like fit, the added mass of the bullpup chassis would only reduce recoil.

Cadillac
New Shotgunner

Post by Cadillac » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Cadillac wrote:I like the look of it, but to me it seems like it would kick quite hard.
What makes you think that? Putting aside subjective things like fit, the added mass of the bullpup chassis would only reduce recoil.
The weight would be better for recoil, but looking at how short it is would lead nee to believe there would be increased recoil. I could very well be wrong though.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:35 am

I guess it depends on what you mean by "recoil". The actual magnitude of the free recoil energy - the kinetic energy transferred to the firearm as a result of the reactive forces of the projectiles & propellant gas - is dependent only on the mass of the gun, not it's shape. A heavier gun will not be pushed back as quickly, resulting in less kinetic energy.

Now, if you're talking about felt or perceived recoil, that could go either way. I'm sure some people will find the gun less comfortable or controllable in bullpup form (I'm not a huge bullpup fan myself), but others may like the changed balance and fit. As an individual perception that will vary from shooter to shooter, it's pretty tough to make a blanket statement one way or the other.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:53 am

I really like the bullpup stock. The only issue is that some kind of optic or BUIS is necessary to raise the sights up to the line of sight when shouldered. To my mind, the bullpup configuration makes a very compact shotgun without all the legal hassle and waiting for an NFA under 18-in. barrel. You'd end up with a shotgun about the same overall legal length as one of the notoriously difficult to use effectively/well pistol-grip only shotguns, but fired from the shoulder like a shotgun should be... For use in small homes, apartments, hallways, motor vehicles, it makes a great deal of sense. Some of those rail attachment points might work to mount a shell holder.

I'm half-heartedly looking for a battered old police surplus Remington 870 to reconfigure as a bullpup. It would be a good outlet for a guntinkery project.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.