Rem 870 Police model

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
26120alcante

Rem 870 Police model

Post by 26120alcante » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 am

I have used a Remington 870 Police model now for 20 years.It has a Magnum receiver ,fold over top steel stock.Also has rifle sights.Would like to know if anyone else has the same model and has done any modifiactions to theirs.Although I have fired this gun hundreds of times.Im still alittle apprehensive about putting my cheek against the steel stock.Has anyone come up with a way to cushion that with some type of thin covering.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Re: Rem 870 Police model

Post by DaveC » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Folding stocks make things compact, but they do make it a bit more uncomfortable to shoot. If you are not utterly wedded to the folder--a top folder Remington stock I presume--you could get one of the multi-position M4-type stocks and see if at the shortest position it is compact enough for your needs?

Barring that, I think the easiest, if somewhat ad-hoc, solution would be to get some dense cell neoprene foam material of some sort and some zip-ties and try to tighten down a length of tubing or foam to cushion your cheek from the metal strut on the folding stock. It won't look pretty, but if doesn't interfere with operation and makes your face not hurt when you fire, it might be a solution to the folding stock conundrum. I'm fiddling with some of this foam material myself in order to create some kind of raised comb on the stock of one of my prized Mosin-Nagant surplus rifles. I cannot get my face low enough to the butt-stock to get a good cheek weld, leaving me to put just the heel of the already short steel buttplate in my shoulder pocket. Yowch!

Still another idea might be to get some cloth tape like bicyclists used to use to wrap handle-bars [these days road cyclists use that leather cork stuff or some kind of polymer/plastic material, but some specialty bicycle shops may still have good old school cloth tape...in flat "tactical" black even! Use this cloth tape to wind around the metal strut of the stock. I've used cloth tape on firearm grips, and it generally stays put, although eventually it gets frayed.

Lastly, you might consider getting some of that paracord people like to use for "survival bracelets" and whatnot. [back in my day we were into leather armbands with metal {Mëtäll!!] studs or spikes, but I digress...] If you can macramé, try to wrap the strut with some lengths of paracord. In my experience, however, any knot in paracord against the face may as well be bare metal, but then I'm not that handy in terms of knot craft...

Good luck with the issue!
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:40 am

Heres one more possible solution. Buy a Limbsaver-gind to fit, and carefully grind it until it does fit the steel buttplate. Check and see If the steel buttplate is too thin too drill and tap holes in; if not too thin, then do just that and mount the Limbsaver with the small screws. Plan B: take your already grinded and fitted Limbsaver, hold it so it's in the correct position and use an awl or something to mark the steel through the new buttpad; then drill small holes in the marked spots. Now, remove the rear stock and take with you to a hardware store, like Ace or something. Then find 2 small bolts that will fit through the Limsaver Buttpad, get the little bolts long enough to reach all the way through the steel and have enough left over to add 2 lockwashers and 2 nuts to tighten the buttpad securely. Obviously these will be very small bolts, and nuts. If you take your time, and do it right, your bare steel buttplate and pain when firing will be over. This is what i'd do if facing that issue, and is just onother opinion.
If you don't have the tools needed for the job, or don't want to go through the trouble, i'll bet a gunsmith would do the job fairly cheap + price of the new buttpad. Good Luck!
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm not sure the discomfiture is from recoil against the shoulder pocket... Seems like the folding stocks have a metal bar for the cheek weld...

A rubber butt pad is almost always a good idea because the rubber will adhere to your clothing a bit and help keep the shotgun into your shoulder nice and tight.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.