FBI Rem. 870 shotgun

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

FBI Rem. 870 shotgun

Post by DaveC » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:26 am

Bill Vanderpool, " 'Bring Enough Gun': A History of FBI Long Guns" American Rifleman (October 2013), p. 85: "The FBI still uses the 870. The present version has a matte-black finish, composite stock and most are 3" magnums. Neither folding stocks nor extended magazines are used. Youth stocks are put on some models used by slight-statured agents. Most of the guns have 14" barrels, and some are being retrofitted with recoil-absorbing stocks, SureFire fore-ends with lights and a shell holder on the left side. Although the guns are 3" magnums, the issue round is the 2 3/4", 00 buck with nine pellets."
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: FBI Rem. 870 shotgun

Post by Chief Brody » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 am

Out of all that, one thing I don't get is the "no extended magazines"... Why not?
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:47 am

These sound like synthetic 870Ps:

A 14" barrel only leaves about 2.25" in front of the guide ring. Not a lot of space for for a magazine extension, especially if you still want to have a sling swivel stud.

Last I heard, the US Secret Service still uses the 870 as well, though I haven't been able to find a recent confirmation for this.

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:11 pm

On one of my 18" barreled 870's I run a +3 extension. The profile of the mag extension protrudes past the end of the barrel and looks goofy but does not affect function. Many competitors run mag tube extensions that protrude several inches past the muzzle to avoid having to reload during events. Again, looks goofy but not an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlXrdhibiKo
Of course, LEO's may keep the mag tubes short to enhance handling and concealability
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:35 am

You'll often see extensions sticking past barrels on competition guns, in order to reduce weight or to just stick with a preferred barrel, but on a combat/LE shotgun, there's no reason not to match the barrel to the magazine tube. If the FBI wanted more magazine capacity, they would just buy 870Ps with 18" or 20" barrels and magazine extensions.