Advice on quality flashlight...

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
JBall
Super Shotgunner

Post by JBall » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:13 am

Looking for a decent flashlight for my tactical HD 870. Somethin under 200$ is preferable. Was contemplating a Streamlight TL4. Does anyone have any suggestions or any any reasons this wouldn't be suitable for a shotgun rather than just a pistol? Also please any other suggestions. One with a laser would be a plus...

reeps
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Advice on quality flashlight...

Post by reeps » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:01 am

I pointed my streamlight at the mirror once to see how bright it was. It blinded me. I don't know how well it holds up after a few rounds, as I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it recently.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:34 am

Are you looking for just a flashlight to replace the rail-mounted one you've had on your fore-end in some of your pictures;
or are you looking for a whole system?

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 am

Anything Surefire. For just a few bucks more you can move up to a dedicated 318LM or similar for $265ish off amazon. After using and carrying many lights for work I would stick with Surefire over Streamlight. Not to knock them but I go by the philosophy of "buy once, cry once" when it comes to optics and lights. I have a 6P that I've carried for over 10years with nothing more than a bulb replacement and batteries. I've trashed 2 or 3 stingers and scorpions in half that time and one tape switch.

Look at it this way, if both a Surefire light and a Streamlight were on the table in front of you and you could have either for FREE which one would you pick?

Last question how do you want to mount it?

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:25 am

I've got a Streamlight TLR-1 on my 870P, using Streamlight's 12 ga. mag tube mount. Best bang for your buck out there, I'd say. Extremely bright, easy to use, and I'm happy with the mount, too. I shot it with the light on at an indoor range and left it on the gun for (with the light switched off, of course) for an all day shotgun steel plate match. It holds up. The one and only downside is that this mount makes breaking down the gun for cleaning a lot slower. But then again, speed isn't usually a factor for that sort of thing.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Post by JBall » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:11 am

[quote="Synchronizor"]Are you looking for just a flashlight to replace the rail-mounted one you've had on your fore-end in some of your pictures

Yes, time to get rid of the Home Depot special. LoL. I actually ordered the Inforce w/IR. For a mount, I decided to try the right sided Magpul scout mount attached to my MOE handguard. Which baring no compatibility issues I think will be a decent setup. If anyone has experience with this light (good or bad) please let me know as I'm not opposed to returning it and getting something different.

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Are you left handed?

Those lights look solid, I saw them on Travis Haley's website awhile back, seem to be top notch. I ask about your side choice, on the AR platform I can see mounting on right side if you have a vertical grip and were activating it with your left hand thumb, on an 870 I would think that you would want it LEFT side so your left thumb could activate it while cradling the pump?

I hope this makes sense?

CharlieTN

Post by CharlieTN » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 pm

The streamlight Polytac series are well made, very reasonably priced and way under your budget. They've held up great for me on AK's, AR's, and shotguns.

Charlie

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:32 pm

CharlieTN wrote:The streamlight Polytac series are well made, very reasonably priced and way under your budget. They've held up great for me on AK's, AR's, and shotguns.

Charlie
I agree the PolyTac's are a good value but I found them less than stellar for a weapon light. Commonly the spring in the tailcap must be adjusted to get reliable function and lack of a shroud around the button makes neg light discharges a real possibility. I ran one for part of a carbine class and even the lightest recoil from a 5.56 was enough for me to inadvertently click past the click and lock the light on. Not good, at least in my opinion. One of the best values out there is the VTac offering where it's a hybrid build Surefire.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/lightsmoun ... irel4.html

I've had one for years on my primary AR, I don't use the VTac mount but it is a good value. I use a mount from Gear Sector.

Good luck, lots of choices out there.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Mon May 20, 2013 5:34 pm

CharlieTN wrote:The streamlight Polytac series are well made, very reasonably priced and way under your budget. They've held up great for me on AK's, AR's, and shotguns.

Charlie
I use the streamlight Polytac 88850 as well, and have used it at the range while swithed on, and it stays on no matter how many punishing rounds you put through the gun. I also agree it works best on the left, or under the center to be able to manipulate the on/off switch. The Streamlight has a momentary and full on option so i like mine. The one you ordered looks pretty good quality though, if it works for you, then by all means stick with it. I was just vouching for the polytac, as i have been using mine for 6 months and have had no probs, at half the price of a surefire (or less).
I do think a TacLight on a shotgun is a good idea, if someone or something is coming through my door, i want to be able to "light it up" and verify target before engaging. My Poytac will also blind the person on the recieving end (130 Lumens) which, as the magpul motto says, give you an unfair advantage--lol.
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.