sling-single point, double?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Jamie
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jamie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:28 pm

What kind of slings do you find the most useful? I'm looking at attending a 3 gun type class, (get some practice before I attempt it), need to get a sling, looking for advice. :?:

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Re: sling-single point, double?

Post by Kentactic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Ive never shot three gun so i dont know what they might require of your sling selection. But having a sling around the forend area isnt ideal. Single points my recommendation.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Post by JBall » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 am

I recommend the MAGPUL MS3 (Multi-Mission Sling). Very durable quality that is resistant to velcro ware (which was an issue with the M2). Converts from 2 point to 1 point in a second flat with a little practice and familiarity. 50-80$ depending on version and color

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:22 am

JBall wrote: 50-80$ depending on version and color
Wow. I've heard good things about Magpul's products, but that's still a lot of money to pay for some webbing and clips.

The 2-point sling I use for hiking in the woods is a $7 cheapo from Cabelas. The single-point I run when I'm playing around with my pistol-grip is just a strap from an old 80's-era VHS camcorder I used to have.

I'm not real big into 3-gun, but I've heard of people using both single-point and double-point for their long guns. My advice would be to buy (or make) something cheap but functional to start with. Then, if you decide to get into it more seriously, you'll have a better idea of where you want to go with high-dollar upgrades.

RomeoPapa
Shotgunner

Post by RomeoPapa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 pm

I went through the whole single-point vs.three-point thing. Single-points tend to bounce against a real sensitive area if you have to run, and three-points feel like you're wearing a bra.

I settled on a Vickers Combat Applications Sling. It's two-point with a quick adjust. Got mine from Blue Foce Gear for around $45 (IIRC). It's by far my favorite sling.

Riverdon
New Shotgunner

Post by Riverdon » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:42 pm

I went with a single point Marauder sling by Tactical Assault Gear. 45.00 and I love how it is designed. Made from heavy bungee material the sling is easy to slip on, the attachment can slide the length of the sling so the shooter can transition from strong to weak side if need be, supports my 870 Tactical (Not A KISS model) quite well. :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 5285 times

badboybeeson
Moderator of the S&J Hardware Forum

Post by badboybeeson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 am

if your shotting 3 gun then dont bother with a sling
for all others i only use the Blue force gear vickers sling, best sling ever!!

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 pm

badboybeeson wrote:if your shotting 3 gun then dont bother with a sling
for all others i only use the Blue force gear vickers sling, best sling ever!!
Yeah dont they just pick guns up off tables n stuff?

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:27 pm

I would buy one you could use on other guns too, something like a VTac or GearSector unless you are going to be carrying the gun a lot. All my AR's share QD point and I just move the sling around as needed. The one defensive shotgun class I took with my last 870 I ended up taking the sling off half way as it ended up being in the way more than anything. Most of the guys in the class did the same as we moved muzzle up / action open from range to range and it really wasn't needed. If I was to use anything it would probably be a single point with a MI adapter or MagPul adaptable are good as you can change your configuration with your mood. Almost forgot the VTac (I like the padded) you can get a single point QD that attaches essentially making it 1 or 2 point.

Like the others said you probably won't be using a sling for three gun. What kind of attach points do you have now on the gun?