Front sight height

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
RomeoPapa
Shotgunner

Front sight height

Post by RomeoPapa » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:10 am

I've got an 870/5077 I am going to put some post and ghost ring sights on.

On hand, I've got a set of Wilson/Scattergun Tech SGTL2-TFR-12 and a set of Trijicon RE-04. The Wilson's have a Cerakote/Duracoat/whatever finish, and the Trijicons are parkerized. The Trijicons also have a Scattergun Tech stamp on the rear sight (isn't that interesting). Aside from the finish, these sights appear to be identical.

But, the big difference is that the Trijicon front sight is slightly taller than the Wilson. I know Wilson uses taller fronts for shorter barrels.

So, my question is - will this height difference be OK to use on an 18.5" barrel or is it intended for another length barrel? Can it still be zeroed using the adjustability of the rear?

Given what I paid for the gun, I'm leaning to put on the less expensive Trijicons if I can.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Front sight height

Post by Kentactic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Length of barrel shouldnt affect sight height. Only difference is a minor velocity change. They are probably meant for different height rails for the rear sights if im understanding what it is your working with. Im on my phone though..

RomeoPapa
Shotgunner

Post by RomeoPapa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 am

I wish I could find my Mitutoyos so I could give definitive measurements between the two front sights. The bases on the fronts are exactly the same, but the blades are slightly different in height. The rears are identical.

Wilson shows TrakLock2's with a 0.735" front for 14.5" barrels and 0.785" fronts for 12" barrels.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Sorry i retract my previous post. Dont drink and surf the web.. Lol... Not sure what the ideal 18.5" sight height is but we are talking about shotguns. If its close AND you have rear sight adjustment it should work youd think.

RomeoPapa
Shotgunner

Post by RomeoPapa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:41 am

Finally found my Mitutoyos. The Trijicon front is 0.725". The Wilson is 0.685".

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:38 am

I don't have any direct experience with the sights you're talking about, and I don't even like ghost rings that much. Plus, with a two-part sight system, I prefer to have both elements on the barrel. A receiver-mounted rear sight is a major pain for a multi-role shotgun like mine, where the barrels are switched out frequently.
RomeoPapa wrote:I wish I could find my Mitutoyos so I could give definitive measurements between the two front sights. The bases on the fronts are exactly the same, but the blades are slightly different in height. The rears are identical.

Wilson shows TrakLock2's with a 0.735" front for 14.5" barrels and 0.785" fronts for 12" barrels.
My only thought (apart from the ever-present possibility of manufacturers just not putting much thought into their product design) would be that maybe these sights are intended to give the barrel a slight upward angle to account for projectile trajectories over longer ranges. If that were the case, a shorter front sight on a longer barrel would produce the same angle as a taller front sight on a shorter barrel (given some other reasonable geometric assumptions).

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:55 pm

I have these sights on several shotguns & the rear is easily adjusted to compensate for the front sight height depending on the range you adjust them for when slug shooting. They are really good durable sights as well. They do limit you if you choose to change things out frequently...which I don't. I also use factory supplied rifle sights on a few of my 870's as well. The Wilson sights & Trijicon are the same as all are manufactured by Trijicon. I have them installed on 870's with barrel lengths of 18-1/2" to 26" with absolutely no problems whatsoever.