Barrel for Remington 870 Super Magnum Express (and other...)

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
carlito

Barrel for Remington 870 Super Magnum Express (and other...)

Post by carlito » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 am

Hello - first time on this forum and lots of great info.

1) Have an older 870 Sup MAG Express. Instead of getting a tatical option, figured I would get the parts and extra barrel. My 870 looks to be a Synthentic type version with what I believe to be a Matte Black finish (a non-glare look). Want a 18 or 18.5" barrell. I notice on Rem's site they only state a 18" "Blue" option and I am presumin that is black? and a glossy look? I do see that Mossberg has a 18.5" option that states "Matte Blue". Is that truly Matte Black and will match? Basically you get my concern of not matching colors.
2) Have the Magpul stock and Magpul forend only to realize after receiving it that the foreend doesn't work (big let down). Know of other good tatical type forends for Super Magnum? FYI - The stock is awesome!
3) any suggestions for a good solid ammo saddle for the Super Magnum?
4) I believe that this is a 4+1 Mag. With a 18.5" Barrel is my only option a 2+ extension or can I squeeze 3?
Appreciate your time!
Carl

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Barrel for Remington 870 Super Magnum Express (and other

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 am

carlito wrote:1) Have an older 870 Sup MAG Express. Instead of getting a tatical option, figured I would get the parts and extra barrel. My 870 looks to be a Synthentic type version with what I believe to be a Matte Black finish (a non-glare look). Want a 18 or 18.5" barrell. I notice on Rem's site they only state a 18" "Blue" option and I am presumin that is black? and a glossy look? I do see that Mossberg has a 18.5" option that states "Matte Blue". Is that truly Matte Black and will match? Basically you get my concern of not matching colors.
"Blue" refers to bluing, which is a common oxide finishing process for steel gun parts that can give a dark blue, black, or grey apperance, but is usually more-or-less black. 870 Wingmasters have the traditional polished bluing for a glossy surface, while 870 Expresses have a similar bluing treated to have a matte finish.

Remington's website is a very poor source of information for parts. I would recommend downloading their full parts list and using that as a reference.

Also, be aware that most of the 18-20" barrels intended for defensive use will only have 3" chambers, and are not designed to handle the higher pressures of 3.5" shells.
carlito wrote:2) Have the Magpul stock and Magpul forend only to realize after receiving it that the foreend doesn't work (big let down). Know of other good tatical type forends for Super Magnum? FYI - The stock is awesome!
This matter has come up before here. I'm not aware of any tactical fore-ends for the SuperMag, but there are ways to modify some Magnum fore-ends to allow the bit of extra travel necessary to cycle the SuperMag action fully.
carlito wrote:3) any suggestions for a good solid ammo saddle for the Super Magnum?
As far as I know, the size and position of the SuperMag's trigger pins are identical to those of other 12ga 870s, so your sidesaddle options should be the same. If you want to measure yours, I can compare the numbers to my 870 Magnum and confirm that.
carlito wrote:4) I believe that this is a 4+1 Mag. With a 18.5" Barrel is my only option a 2+ extension or can I squeeze 3?
You can pair any barrel with any extension, but a magazine configuration that will hold seven 2.75" shells will probably have to extend past the muzzle of an 18.5" barrel somewhat.

carlito

Re: Barrel for Remington 870 Super Magnum Express (and other

Post by carlito » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks man!