MIM

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
H8Crime
New Shotgunner

MIM

Post by H8Crime » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:14 pm

A quick question here: Does anyone know if there is a set of serial numbers for MIM parts? Or a set of dates? I haven't had any problems with the extractor on my 870 but I understand that there may be an issue with them.

Thanks!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: MIM

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Remington's serial numbers aren't public, but the MIM extractors have a distinct bump on the outside, so they can be easily distinguished from he forged part.
MIM extractors don't seem to have the same manufacturing tolerances as the forged parts, but they usually work just fine. I have a MIM extractor in my gun, and it's been flawless. I have a friend who has them in both her HD 870, and the 870 she uses for competition trap. If you're not having extraction or ejection problems, you probably don't have to worry about replacing it.

H8Crime
New Shotgunner

Post by H8Crime » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks for the info! I do in fact have a MIM extractor. I'll have to keep a close eye on it, I reckon.

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:23 am

I shoot only Express model 870's these days...my Wingmaster's are all but retired. Have yet to have an extractor failure and I have resurrected a few dogs into some nice HD/Combat shotguns. Being an 870 Armorer I check out all the parts for damage or signs of wear. An 870 is not immune from breakage I'm fully aware, but with simple periodic maintenance they are quite difficult to hurt. I have seen some HORRIBLY abused 870's that functioned flawlessly and some even WORSE that required simple repairs to get it up and running. I have and will continue to bet my hide on an 870!

H8Crime
New Shotgunner

Post by H8Crime » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:11 pm

Cool - Me too!

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 am

I have several 870's mostly wingmasters and recently added an Express HD model. I have several hundred rounds through the Express with zero issues so far. I did purchase a couple of forged extractors but they are laid back as spares at this point. I did upgrade the follower and put a large button safety on the Express, though.
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.