Help finding replacement barrels

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
JeffCooper
Valued Shotgunner

Help finding replacement barrels

Post by JeffCooper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Greetings -

I have a pair of 870 police trades on their way to my FFL that have no barrels. The story is that the PD removed the barrels as they were less than the legal length. Fair enough. :-) However, I need a pair of plain-jane 870 barrels, parked and threaded for chokes. 18". Bead sights are fine (I'd prefer none) as I intend to solder LPA front sights on anyway.

I'd read that not all 870 barrels are the same in the way they are secured (detents?)...not sure I understand that, and am not sure what to look for when the rcvrs show. Any help would be appreciated!

Affordabilty and availability is good thing.
Thanks!!

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Help finding replacement barrels

Post by ponycarman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Ebay, gunbroker, there are a few shotgun specific shops that should have them too. The retention is different with the express models than with the police and wingmaster models. Some express models have a plastic retainer to keep the cap on the end of the mag from coming off. The police models and wingmasters should have a detent on the barrel that is used to keep the cap on. I hope I explained this right haha.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 am

JeffCooper wrote:I have a pair of 870 police trades on their way to my FFL that have no barrels. The story is that the PD removed the barrels as they were less than the legal length. Fair enough. However, I need a pair of plain-jane 870 barrels, parked and threaded for chokes. 18". Bead sights are fine (I'd prefer none) as I intend to solder LPA front sights on anyway.
The barrels you describe may be tough to find. Most Police barrels have fixed chokes; and the Tactical 870 barrels that are threaded (so they can be sold with the tactical-looking breacher stand-offs) usually have the basic matte finish. You may end up having to have barrels refinished if you want them threaded for chokes and parkerized.

I'd get in touch with J.D. of AI&P Tactical. He builds combat 870s, and does his own refinishing. You could probably get some barrels like the ones you describe from him for a fair price, if he isn't too swamped with all that's going on nowadays.
JeffCooper wrote:I'd read that not all 870 barrels are the same in the way they are secured (detents?)...not sure I understand that, and am not sure what to look for when the rcvrs show. Any help would be appreciated!
The barrels on Police 870s and some civilian models have a ball detent in the barrel guide ring. These ball detents are used to lock down magazine caps or extensions.
870 barrel guide ring ball detent_small.JPG
Ball detent
870 barrel guide ring ball detent_small.JPG (35.34 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
Around 1993, Remington started using a new-style plastic spring retainer on models without tube extensions. These new retainers engaged two bumps in the end of the mag tube, and provided a ratchet system to lock down the magazine cap.
870 ratchet retainer_small.JPG
Synthetic retainer ratchet
870 ratchet retainer_small.JPG (32.01 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
(The guy in Wal-Mart looked only slightly concerned when I started taking down the 870 he handed me.)

These were a cost-saving measure, and work well enough for guns without extensions. They're also less of a pain to take out than the older-style, press-in spring retainers. However, the bumps in the magazine tube that these new retainers need to lock in to to work will interfere with the follower if a magazine extension is installed, so they have to be pressed out, filed off, or drilled out.

Barrels for shotguns with this new system do not have ball detents in their guide rings, but it can be added. You can also use a wave-style lockwasher to keep a cap or extension tight.
barrel guide ring no ball_small.JPG
Guide ring without ball detent
barrel guide ring no ball_small.JPG (51.06 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
You can put any 870 barrel on any 870 receiver, as long as the gauge and mag tube length match up; but if the barrel doesn't have the ball detent in the guide ring, unclamped extensions and some styles of magazine caps may work loose during extended shooting sessions.

JeffCooper
Valued Shotgunner

Post by JeffCooper » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Wow - thanks for taking the time to post that information! Extremely helpful.

Headed to the FFL to pick up my receivers (and four AR stripped lowers!) so I will know what I have to work with by COB today. I beleive I will be duracoating/baking the 870's to make them look good...so if the finish has a pexture that will look the same once quotes I should be good. I will take pics along the way and start up a topic on my "builds".

Thanks again - those examples really helped!!
jeff