IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Re: IMO Mesa Tactical 6 Shell Side Saddle

Post by rythomas0704 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
rythomas0704 wrote:Just got home and took a quick measurement (with a ruler, sorry but used to a tape measure) and it sits roughly 1 3/16" off of the side of the receiver. Hope this helps.
I was mostly just curious. That's actually a hair less than my TacStar, which comes in at almost exactly 1.25" with shells inserted. The Mesa Tactical probably saves some width by having a one-piece construction.
Ahhh but it is a two peice design. The holder removes from the baseplate to allow for replacement of the tube rubber tube that holds the shells.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

rythomas0704 wrote:Ahhh but it is a two peice design. The holder removes from the baseplate to allow for replacement of the tube rubber tube that holds the shells.
Makes sense, though that's not exactly the same as the TacStar, which has the baseplate, then the plastic shell holder with its own molded-in baseplate on top:

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:45 am

Yeah I like the mesa as it's two piece design serves a purpose... which is great. I hear that over time the Tacstar will lose it's hold on shells. When this happens with the Mesa, they will send you the rubber tubing free of charge to replace your old, worn out one. That's why it's two piece. If it were not for the replaceable tubing I am almost sure they would have gone with a solid piece of aluminum. But still, for the price of the tacstar you can get three of them for the price of one Mesa. LOL
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 pm

I just ordered one of these suckers from midway. Ive got high hopes. I cant see how id be dissapointed really.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:21 am

You wont. :D
- George Orwell

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Just put it on my 870. Its good to go. The retention rubber can twist rather then let shells slide over it so they have a bit of memory to push back up a bit sonetimes. To solve it i just push them deeper then desired and pull back up to the desired depth. The trigger group screws they use tighten onto themselves rather then squeeze the reciever so theres no pinching issues like with the tacstar. Both bolts use the same allen key so its one less tool to carry. Although two might be desired incase the other side wants to spin. The saddle is actually suprisingly light for an all alluminum part.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:32 am

Kentactic wrote:Just put it on my 870. Its good to go. The retention rubber can twist rather then let shells slide over it so they have a bit of memory to push back up a bit sonetimes.
Hmm... I don't seem to have that issue, or maybe I just haven't noticed. I will have to check on that.
Kentactic wrote: ...Both bolts use the same allen key so its one less tool to carry. Although two might be desired incase the other side wants to spin.
Did your's come with two allen keys? If not I find that rather odd as mine came with two. I probably should have mentioned that in my review.

Did you go with the the black rubber or change out to the white like I did?
- George Orwell

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 am

It did come with two allen keys of the same size. But i found using just one worked well. Atleast for tightening. I stuck with the black rubber as it seemed pretty snug as is.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 am

Kentactic wrote:It did come with two allen keys of the same size. But i found using just one worked well. Atleast for tightening. I stuck with the black rubber as it seemed pretty snug as is.
My mistake friend. Thought you were saying that only came with ONE key. Good to know you got both. :D
Yeah I agree that the black rubber does pretty well but I am pretty used to a more snug fit so I opted for the white. To each their own.

On another note, are you ultimately happy with your choice? I know that I am as I am almost 100% sure I will not have any problems with mine and that I can count on it for many years to come
- George Orwell

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 pm

rythomas0704 wrote:
Kentactic wrote:It did come with two allen keys of the same size. But i found using just one worked well. Atleast for tightening. I stuck with the black rubber as it seemed pretty snug as is.
My mistake friend. Thought you were saying that only came with ONE key. Good to know you got both. :D
Yeah I agree that the black rubber does pretty well but I am pretty used to a more snug fit so I opted for the white. To each their own.

On another note, are you ultimately happy with your choice? I know that I am as I am almost 100% sure I will not have any problems with mine and that I can count on it for many years to come

Yep overall its good to go in my opinion. No looking back. I see no major issues with it at this time.